High School Sports

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

High School Sports

Post by Michael w6 »

My grade school sports team's name was the "Red Raiders" and its symbol was a profile of a standard, cliché American Indian. The name has fallen into disfavor and may be changed. What do you think? Should it or no?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: High School Sports

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:My grade school sports team's name was the "Red Raiders" and its symbol was a profile of a standard, cliché American Indian. The name has fallen into disfavor and may be changed. What do you think? Should it or no?
This is a political topic. Or rather, I don't see how it can't be political, so unless someone can demonstrate otherwise, perhaps it's best we drop it here.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Michael w6 wrote:My grade school sports team's name was the "Red Raiders" and its symbol was a profile of a standard, cliché American Indian. The name has fallen into disfavor and may be changed. What do you think? Should it or no?
This is a political topic. Or rather, I don't see how it can't be political, so unless someone can demonstrate otherwise, perhaps it's best we drop it here.
I would consider it a social or societal question, not political. But if it preferred to drop it, ok.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

After consultation with Ben about how the thread had proceeded after the above, we have decided to err on the side of prudence, excise the subsequent six posts (including two of my own, FWIW) from public record due to their potential for political controversy, and lock this thread. It's too prickly to chance, given the Board's policies.

And the title's rather misleading, BTW. I originally thought we would be discussing curriculum.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician