About that Global Shortage of Drinking Water

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: About that Global Shortage of Drinking Water

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:I can almost hear one of them saying of the Warka tower "How is it in the wind?".
I'm guessing it would largely depend on how firmly it's staked down. What strikes me about its seeming flimsiness is that it appears ideally suited to nomadic or semi-nomadic lifestyles, which also means it could readily be re-erected if it got flattened. A temporary inconvenience, but not a tragedy. If you're a nomad in the Sahel and can easily bring your "well" with you wherever you go, that's going to free things up dramatically for both you and your livestock. Here's another design:

Rather beautiful, actually. Looks like something out of a Science Fiction movie. Being no expert on the subject, I can't tell if the pic is a CGI that eliminates the guy lines I would have expected to see, or whether this design actually doesn't use them. In the latter case I would definitely ask how it stands up to the wind.
an seanduine wrote:Here is a recent article (July 14,2020), summarizing what we have been discussing, in a suitable form for laymen. https://www.azolifesciences.com/news/20 ... risis.aspx
Thanks for that. From the article:
The surface structures created on the metal were incredibly effective at capturing incoming radiation, such as light. But they also captured light over a broad range of wavelengths.

Subsequently, his team used a similar process to change the color of a range of metals to various colors, such as blue, gold, and gray.

The applications could include making color filters and optical spectral devices, using a single laser in a car factory to produce cars of different colors; or proposing with a gold engagement ring that matches the color of your fiancee's blue eyes.

The lab also used the initial black and colored metal technique to create a unique array of nano- and micro-scale structures on the surface of a regular tungsten filament, enabling a light bulb to glow more brightly at the same energy usage.
What I really like about this surface structure treatment paradigm is that it promises to be a strong multitasker. I think it's no exaggeration when you called it a disruptive/transformative technology.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician