whistle, front + center !

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: whistle, front + center !

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, at least the vocalization style doesn't pander to Metal's tired cult of the guttural shriek. It's almost polite. I could actually understand the words ... well, maybe: at around 2:22 I think she's saying, "I need the flies over me." Ew.

As to the whistles: Meh. Let everyone paint themselves blue and rave in the twilight of Gondor or some such nonsense. It's a safe bet that the Elves will gratefully have other things to do.

I shall listen to Evenmore even less.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Let everyone paint themselves blue and rave in the twilight of Gondor or some such nonsense.
I found the video too offputtingly phoney to even consider the music. Just kept thinking 'why?'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Let everyone paint themselves blue and rave in the twilight of Gondor or some such nonsense.
I found the video too offputtingly phoney to even consider the music. Just kept thinking 'why?'
It's a costume party based on the premise that one impressionistic budget fantasy is as good as any other. Myself, I would have liked it better if they were prancing about half-naked in shaggy goat legs with horns on their heads. Much better production value.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:I like this whistle in an unexpected place more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2sQdPQU-E

The whistle and pipes are an integral part of Evenmore's sound and appear in every cut over two albums.
Oh God, really??? Perhaps it's my age. I just find that ugly, and a dreadful synthesis of things that simply don't go, accompanied by ... what? ... such a hodge-podge of generally "Celtic" and specifically non-Celtic symbols ... well, the whole thing just makes me feel seasick. Saccharine and unlistenable as I find Rieu's stuff, I think I'd rather have his than this. Ugh!
Heck, I'm pushing 60 and have just gotten bitten by the Eurometal bug in the last few years. The thing I love about it is that it's an evolution of progressive rock, which with traditional and classical music makes up my holy trinity.

The album is the story of a Viking king, so no attempt at Celtic (I'm commenting on the album; I pay no attention to videos, just posted this one because the Swayne whistle is so patent). There are also a couple of tunes on the album with a hurdy-gurdy. I've wondered if it's supposed to take the place of a nyckelharpa, the way that Steeleye Span used John Kirkpatrick's accordion to stand in for pipes on Montrose.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

The whistle and pipes are an integral part of Evenmore's sound and appear in every cut over two albums.
Oh God, really??? Perhaps it's my age. I just find that ugly, and a dreadful synthesis of things that simply don't go, accompanied by ... what? ... such a hodge-podge of generally "Celtic" and specifically non-Celtic symbols ... well, the whole thing just makes me feel seasick. Saccharine and unlistenable as I find Rieu's stuff, I think I'd rather have his than this. Ugh!
Heck, I'm pushing 60 and have just gotten bitten by the Eurometal bug in the last few years. The thing I love about it is that it's an evolution of progressive rock, which with traditional and classical music makes up my holy trinity.

The album is the story of a Viking king, so no attempt at Celtic (I'm commenting on the album; I pay no attention to videos, just posted this one because the Swayne whistle is so patent). There are also a couple of tunes on the album with a hurdy-gurdy. I've wondered if it's supposed to take the place of a nyckelharpa, the way that Steeleye Span used John Kirkpatrick's accordion to stand in for pipes on Montrose.
In that case, why do they have "Celtic" references in both the music and the video? It's unthinking, insulting, trash. Most of this "euro-metal-folk" is.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:It's unthinking, insulting, trash.
Strong words, there. Have a Pepsi. :wink:
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

benhall.1 wrote:

With the objects and dress I'd say that they're going for a fantasy Anglo-Saxon or Danish/Viking thing.

They've obviously been watching too many TV dramas. Why do people think that Mediæval northern Europeans wore black and silly get-ups in leather?

Edited to add whistle content: That's a Jon Swayne whistle I believe.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ecadre wrote:With the objects and dress I'd say that they're going for a fantasy Anglo-Saxon or Danish/Viking thing.
"Fantasy" being the operative word, although the helmets definitely look Anglo-Saxon to me, as well. That's about the only attempt at authenticity in the whole wardrobe. I thought the wrist bands lent a nice touch of kink to all that black leather, though - but then where are the whips? A most disappointing omission.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Heck, I'm pushing 60 and have just gotten bitten by the Eurometal bug...
I just turned 70, & I loved it, so much so that I went looking for more of the genre..... :D

It's a weird cross between heavy rock & operatic singing to my mind, & the theatrical costumes just made it a bit of fun. :lol:

What I listen to, & what I play, are totally different. :P :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

fatmac wrote:operatic
It doesn't sound the least bit operatic to me.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Peter Duggan wrote:
fatmac wrote:operatic
It doesn't sound the least bit operatic to me.
I think Keith is talking about the “more of the genre” that he found. This for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhtOORYTGx8

(Before the nitpickers chime in, I will acknowledge that a Staber Mater isn’t an opera.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The genre that I'm talking about - metal music with female singers.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... le+singers
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:André Rieu usually has a novelty Oirish item that features a whistle. It's not as uncommon as you may think. And its usually cringe worthy, as it is here.
I think all one really needs to take away from this is "Andre Rieu" and "cringe-worthy."

Nanohedron wrote:
bigsciota wrote:The slight flinch from the lady at 0:26 really makes it for me.
Eye of the beholder, I guess. When I saw it, I thought, Yep. Here come the waterworks, right on cue. What I didn't expect were the numbers; I confess that I cynically wondered if I weren't witnessing a paid claque.
My favorites were the couples clutching each other heartwarmingly as if watching their long-suffering chronically-ill child finally walk for the first time to go up and accept that Nobel Peace Prize or something.

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I was rather mystified by the wholesale upwelling of tears
I'm not. It's one of the great simple tunes or tune/harmony combinations... tightly shaped, powerful and loaded with further meaning by the words now effectively (before Richard appears to tell us it's actually 'New Britain') synonymous with it. It's just naturally stirring, whether or not that particular arrangement (with or without distractively hyperactive whistle) does it for you.
Sure. I love Amazing Grace and the GHB as much as the next guy, and I won't lie, GHB can move me to tears. (okay, I admit it, I like Highland Cathedral) It's just that Rieu tends to enjoy putting on a show of romanticism (I've changed it from a word that might be seen as more offensive by those who like what he does) that doesn't work for me. I'm a sentimental git but even I draw lines somewhere. (Look, I won't say the guy's not 10 times better at playing violin than I am-- though that's not a very high bar-- or that he doesn't make a hell of a lot more money than I do, but that doesn't mean I have to want to buy what he peddles. Some people do and that's fine, but I imagine it's unlikely to be people who know very much about Irish or Scottish music?)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:(Before the nitpickers chime in, I will acknowledge that a Staber Mater isn’t an opera.)
Although I desperately don't want to be branded a nitpicker, I still cannot abstain from pointing out the typo that should read "Stabat Mater". "Staber Mater" makes me think of snails:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_dart

I watched the vid, expecting a relentless fuzz of electric guitars to come in at some point. My hopes for a glory of genre fusion: Dashed.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Nanohedron wrote: Although I desperately don't want to be branded a nitpicker, I still cannot abstain from pointing out the typo that should read "Stabat Mater".
I had a vocal coach who always said "Stab at mother, dirty Rosa."