whistle, front + center !

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: whistle, front + center !

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:Andre Rieu is the Thomas Kinkade of music.
I've never come across Thomas Kinkade. Now I've looked, it wouldn't appear to be my thing.
trill

Post by trill »

Just looked up Kinkade. Obviously, plenty of talent. He has a book "Billion Dollar Painter". I gather he made a fortune.

I had a good friend who was a potter. Gifted artist. Cool forms. But, when it came to survival of the business, she had two rules: bright colors and easily recognized forms. Perhaps there's a parallel.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

There are people like that in any endeavour. We could have fun naming more of them, although we'd have to stay away from politics and religion. I'm not sure Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald, or even William Shakespeare, were aiming much higher than that when they were alive, although each did manage a higher much standard.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yes Kinkade made a fortune but filed for bankruptcy, and there were accusations of swindling involving the franchising of his name and signed prints. Major drinking problem, expensive girlfriend, angry wife.

The "problem" with Kinkade is the same IMHO as Andre Reiu: bathetic overstatement. Kinkade's cottages scream COZY!!!! or QUIET COUNTRY LANE!!!!

Also people point out that all his building appear to be on fire, the people in them surely burned to death, which is why there are never any people, and it's often, as in the image linked simultaneously autumn, with red foliage, and spring, with spring flowers, and though the sun is setting the shadows are all directly above as at noon, and in the example I posted who the hell would build a house on that spot and how long would it last? Stare at a Kinkade painting and it quickly gets weird: the dark dark shadows, the impossible landscapes, the furnace like interiors.

Everything is overstated: everything is bathos: romanticism in the Edgar Allen Poe sense: deranged.

Reiu has the same determination to wildly overstate every good thing
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:Reiu
Sorry to be picky, but it's Rieu.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:... and in the example I posted who the hell would build a house on that spot and how long would it last?
Oh, stop bothering us with practicalities. I'm basking in the glowing dream of it.
PB+J wrote:Stare at a Kinkade painting and it quickly gets weird: the dark dark shadows, the impossible landscapes, the furnace like interiors.
Has anybody noticed the thin but consolidated wisps of smoke coming out of both chimneys? That's a physical impossibility. Nice small carbon footprint, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
PB+J wrote:... and in the example I posted who the hell would build a house on that spot and how long would it last?
Oh, stop bothering us with practicalities. I'm basking in the glowing dream of it.
PB+J wrote:Stare at a Kinkade painting and it quickly gets weird: the dark dark shadows, the impossible landscapes, the furnace like interiors.
Has anybody noticed the thin but consolidated wisps of smoke coming out of both chimneys? That's a physical impossibility. Nice small carbon footprint, though.
It's sort of how I imagine Mr. Gumby's house.

It's a bit far afield but at the height of Kinkade's fame two Russian artists hired a marketing firm to ask Americans what they wanted in a painting--what they liked and didn't like. They came up with "america's
most wanted painting:"

They did the same survey for a number of other countries and you can see the results here:

https://awp.diaart.org/km/index.html
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Art, schmart. That's visual gibberish. But at least American deer can walk on water.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PB+J wrote: It's sort of how I imagine Mr. Gumby's house.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nice hovel you have there.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Nice hovel you have there.
The friendly notion would take a tune title like 'The Glenside Cottage' to describe the house, a line from Séamus Ennis' translation of 'The Dark Woman of the Glen' is probably more apt:

My house is over there,
with its roof in bad repair..
My brain hurts

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I like this whistle in an unexpected place more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2sQdPQU-E

The whistle and pipes are an integral part of Evenmore's sound and appear in every cut over two albums.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Likewise! :)

(That led me onto a few more groups that I'd never heard of, thanks.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:I like this whistle in an unexpected place more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA2sQdPQU-E

The whistle and pipes are an integral part of Evenmore's sound and appear in every cut over two albums.
Oh God, really??? Perhaps it's my age. I just find that ugly, and a dreadful synthesis of things that simply don't go, accompanied by ... what? ... such a hodge-podge of generally "Celtic" and specifically non-Celtic symbols ... well, the whole thing just makes me feel seasick. Saccharine and unlistenable as I find Rieu's stuff, I think I'd rather have his than this. Ugh!
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

I'm happy to see the whistle used in different genres, but metal has never been my thing. Too much constantly ahead of the beat.