TELL ME A STORY!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: TELL ME A STORY!

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:I was helping out in the kitchen before a friend's party years ago. Her 21 year old daughter was given the task to put the yellow mixture back in to the halved eggs. She methodically dipped in her spoon, slid the mixture off into the empty white with her finger to shape it just so, then stuck her finger in her mouth (to clean it or taste it I don't know which), then back in the mixture the spoon would go and back on the spoon the finger would slide and back into the mouth. This went on for 2 dozen eggs. It was the first time I ever demurred when offered a plate of deviled eggs.
I think I just threw up in my mouth. You get an A+ in conveying a really bestial image. But I have to ask: Why didn't you say anything?? I don't think I could stop myself from blurting out, "No. No. Stop. Just - stop. Get out of the kitchen, go find your friends, climb a tree, I don't care. Just stop, in the name of all that is holy. Gimme that, and out you go. Whoosh. Whoosh."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The Martha (she of ´It´s a good thing´ fame), on multiple occasions opined at how unacceptable it was to ´double-dip´, that is use a chip or whatever to dip, take a bite, and then use the same chip to scoop some more dip. Hilariously on at least one show had sampled a rather large glass of wine, or possibly two or three, proceeded to use a carrot slice to scoop some dip, use the remainder to gesture at something, and the dip again!. We don´t have a cringe emoji, but there you have it :shock:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:The Martha (she of ´It´s a good thing´ fame), on multiple occasions opined at how unacceptable it was to ´double-dip´, that is use a chip or whatever to dip, take a bite, and then use the same chip to scoop some more dip. Hilariously on at least one show had sampled a rather large glass of wine, or possibly two or three, proceeded to use a carrot slice to scoop some dip, use the remainder to gesture at something, and the dip again!.
Of course I'll double dip if I'm not sharing; I think that's entirely acceptable in most circumstances. Maybe that was The Martha's rationale, too, but then she should have said as much, given all her pious finger-wagging. But then there's the question of whether it's an offense to double dip by oneself in front of a TV audience, and I'll leave that up to debate. I do think, though, that it's even more coarse yet to gesture at something with your food. That was icing on the cake, for it's something I would only do in a beer-scented fishhouse, or by the campfire where everyone's been at least a day without a shower and the latrine is where the shovel hits, or if I were Emperor. And I haven't done any of those in quite a while. How is it she rose to become a doyenne of refinements in the life beautiful, again?

Speaking of dipping - be it double or no - my favorite dip for French fries is ketchup with a truckload of black pepper mixed in: just dispense with the shaker top and dump it out freely. The mixed result should look as if the ketchup has gone dreadfully moldy (which, upon glancing at my plate, is what one bartender thought had happened, to his great alarm). Let it sit for a bit, if you have the patience to wait at least a couple of minutes, so the flavors have time to meld and bloom. It's sublime and rugged.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician