SLEEP!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: SLEEP!

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:It does help a bit. I didn't know a lot of that. I still don't get where the "middle way" and "middlin' way" come in ... Do those phrases mean something?
Oh, yes. The Middle Way is Buddhism itself; it's been called the Middle Way from the very beginning. Starting from that context, the Middlin' Way becomes clearer: it suggests a lukewarm, possibly even superficially professed relationship to the Dharma (for this discussion, we can translate that as the Way).

But we need to be careful, now, lest we start violating the CCCP.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:It does help a bit. I didn't know a lot of that. I still don't get where the "middle way" and "middlin' way" come in ... Do those phrases mean something?
Oh, yes. The Middle Way is Buddhism itself; it's been called the Middle Way from the very beginning. Starting from that context, the Middlin' Way becomes clearer: it suggests a lukewarm, possibly even superficially professed relationship to the Dharma (for this discussion, we can translate that as the Way).

But we need to be careful, now, lest we start violating the CCCP.
OK. Got it. Finally. Sorry, Nano and Bob, to be a bit thick on this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, it IS a bit unfair of us to be indulging in in-jokes. So, sorry right back atcha.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thanks Nano. I´m really not good at ´exegesis´. :)

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Pfft. If I were any good at exegwhatsit, it wouldn't have taken me this long. But back to the answer I was about to give you before we had to help Ben out:

I'm afraid I only have virtual tea. But please have some anyway.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: I'm afraid I only have virtual tea. But please have some anyway.
Of course you only have virtual tea; proper tea is theft.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: I'm afraid I only have virtual tea. But please have some anyway.
"The sin of property
We do disdain
No man has any right to buy and sell
The earth for private gain
By theft and murder
They took the land
Now everywhere the walls
Rise up at their command"
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:"The sin of property
We do disdain
By theft and murder
They took the land
Now everywhere the walls
Ah. Leon Rosselson*. That takes me back. I remember going to see him in The Prince of Wales pub in Cardiff, somewhere around 1977, I think. He would definitely have sung this one. He stayed around after the gig and chatted to everyone. I was having a nice little chat with him when a very enthusiastic, very earnest young lady rushed up and interrupted our conversation. He turned to her and gave her this huge, warm, welcoming smile. She gushed, "Oh I love all your songs. Especially the political ones!" I well remember the smile slowly draining from his face.

* Just in case it's my ignorance here, Rosselson didn't take those words from somewhere else, did he?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
kkrell wrote:"The sin of property
We do disdain
By theft and murder
They took the land
Now everywhere the walls
Ah. Leon Rosselson*. That takes me back. I remember going to see him in The Prince of Wales pub in Cardiff, somewhere around 1977, I think. He would definitely have sung this one. He stayed around after the gig and chatted to everyone. I was having a nice little chat with him when a very enthusiastic, very earnest young lady rushed up and interrupted our conversation. He turned to her and gave her this huge, warm, welcoming smile. She gushed, "Oh I love all your songs. Especially the political ones!" I well remember the smile slowly draining from his face.

* Just in case it's my ignorance here, Rosselson didn't take those words from somewhere else, did he?
Near as I can tell via Google, some of the phrases may have originated in the writings of Gerrard Winstanley (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diggers ).

I was previously only familiar with Dick Gaughan's 1981 cover version (which I requested when seeing him live at McCabe's guitar shop). I did not know Leon Rosselson was the composer (1975). His performance of it on a YouTube video is not inspiring.
Wikipedia wrote:"The World Turned Upside Down" by Leon Rosselson, 1975, a song about the Diggers and their activities on St. George's Hill in 1649; this song was performed by Dick Gaughan on his album Handful of Earth, 1981; by the Barracudas on their album Endeavour to Persevere, 1984; by Out of the Rain on their album A Common Treasury, 1985; by Billy Bragg on his Between the Wars EP, 1985; by Chumbawamba on the b-side of their single Timebomb, 1993; by Four to the Bar on Another Son in 1995; by Attila the Stockbroker with Barnstormer on The Siege of Shoreham, 1996; by Oysterband on their albums Shouting End of life and Alive and Shouting, 1995 and 1996; by Karan Casey (formerly of the Irish band Solas), on her Songlines album, 1997; by Clandestine, a Houston-based Celtic group, on their To Anybody at All album, 1999; by the Fagans, an Australian folk group, on their album, Turning Fine, 2002; and by Seattle Celt-rock band Coventry on the album Red Hair and Black Leather, 2005; and Ramshackle Glory on the album “Live the Dream”, 2016

Wait! Is this off-topic?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Near as I can tell via Google, some of the phrases may have originated in the writings of Gerrard Winstanley (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diggers ).
I would have known a great deal about The Diggers at one time. I've forgotten it all now …
kkrell wrote:Wait! Is this off-topic?
Surely not! On chiff and Fipple??? :shock:

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
And now it is my turn to be at a loss. :-?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
And now it is my turn to be at a loss. :-?
Really? The anarchist slogan: property is theft.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Really? The anarchist slogan: property is theft.
Ow. You are punishing me. And now the commentary following your quip becomes clear. Thick of me ...

But I've never been much of an anarchist except from an idealistic angle, for it seemed I couldn't pursue it in any practical way except small ones, and I'm no economic theorist, so I never became better familiar with the philosophy, nor with slogans like "property is theft". Hence that ignorance.

Justice, OTOH, is an easier concept for me to get a grip on.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

I
benhall.1 wrote:Really? The anarchist slogan: property is theft.
IIRC Proudhon also said that

"Property is liberty"

and

"Property is impossible"

Not that that really matters here..... just sayin'.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Justice, OTOH, is an easier concept for me to get a grip on.
I can't get a grip on the concept of justice at all. It's too much of a moveable feast, depending on the individual circumstances of all of the participants in every situation. It's far too big a concept for me to get any kind of handle on at all.