GAEL

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: GAEL

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:The ones that cause such a problem in Snowdonia, North Wales, are an invasive, non-native, Asian species. I had thought that they were all from Asia, but apparently not.
Right. The centers of diversity are in the Himalayas and Malaysia, but elsewhere native species can have some surprising locations: Greenland, for one. Who knew?

I looked up the Pontic rhododendron, and according to Wikipedia - cue grain of salt - it's not just native to Asia, but southern Europe as well. It's possible that some of your invasive clusters could have hailed from there, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: GAEL

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I looked up the Pontic rhododendron, and according to Wikipedia - cue grain of salt - it's not just native to Asia, but southern Europe as well. It's possible that some of your invasive clusters could have hailed from there, too.
According to the article I linked (for which no salt is necessary!), that seems quite likely:
'But from what we have observed the most aggressively invasive R. ponticum seems to exactly match the Iberian wild populations.'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?