Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

In using the "quote" function how does one limit the quote to just the relevant sentences? Just clicking the quote icon transfers the entire post.
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: QUOTE

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:In using the "quote" function how does one limit the quote to just the relevant sentences? Just clicking the quote icon transfers the entire post.
You edit the quote before you hit Submit. Here's how:

By mouse: Put the cursor (the movable pointer on the screen; on the Quote, Edit, Reply and New Topic page fields it looks like a capital I) before the words to be edited out, left click, and drag the cursor over as much of the text as you want to remove; that text will be selected by highlighting (blue, in my case). All you have to do then is hit delete, and the selected portion of the quote will be gone. You can do this in either direction.

By touch pad: Put the cursor where you want it, then press on the pad until you hear a click; then drag your finger to select the text to be deleted.

You use the same selection procedure for copy-and-paste. Sometimes I simply copy from the post field instead hitting the quote button, and then when replying, I paste, and then type in the quote code-and-username protocol (or whatever it's called) on the typing field to make what I copied into a quote. To copy, simply select just as with deleting, but instead hit Ctrl C, and hit Ctrl V to paste.

You can practice selecting while on the post field, because you won't be able to alter it.

Hope that helps.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

There's a third way of quoting just the text you want as well: first, hit 'reply' instead of quote; then use the scroll bar to go back to the post from which you want to quote; highlight the text you want to quote; hit 'quote'. Voilà.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:then use the scroll bar to go back to the post from which you want to quote; highlight the text you want to quote; hit 'quote'. Voilà.
Ha, Ben, you just taught me something I didn't know about quoting! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:then use the scroll bar to go back to the post from which you want to quote; highlight the text you want to quote; hit 'quote'. Voilà.
I'm sure the pleasure is mine. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
I'm sure the pleasure is mine. :D
That's a pretty cool labor saver; I didn't know about that either. Most handy indeed. :thumbsup:

There's another significant difference with Ben's suggestion: with the scroll record, the quote clicky is at the top right of the post field, instead of the bottom right as we're normally used to. I've made that mistake a few times in the past.

I tried Ben's suggestion in quoting from this post in the thread proper, but it only works on the scroll record. Thanks, Ben! :)

All told, the select/highlight function's a nifty little tool.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician