Another earworm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Another earworm

Post by benhall.1 »

I wake up every single day with a tune - or a snippet of a tune - already playing in my head. In my head, at least, today's is a piano duet. Does anybody know what it is? I have to say, so far, this site has never let me down with these things:

Mr.Gumby

Re: Another earworm

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Aargg. Don't do that. These things are contagious.

I hear some sort of a song to it but not clear enough to get the words needed to identify it. And it will probably keep running in my head the rest of the day. :swear:
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Any way to convert that to a MIDI file?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Any way to convert that to a MIDI file?
Would it help if I posted it in ABC format?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Any way to convert that to a MIDI file?
Would it help if I posted it in ABC format?
Mmmmmaybe. But I kind of doubt it. If I had a whistle on hand I could get the idea, but I've always been poor with my sightreading skills, be it staff notation or ABC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Never mind. Found a crappy recorder and got the tune.

Weird - I don't recognize it, but it's somehow familiar all the same, in a bygone-style sort of way. Ballet comes to mind: Little Bo-Peep enters the stage, pas de bourrée.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Try this. One take, played badly, after three glasses of port. Sorry.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Try this. One take, played badly, after three glasses of port. Sorry.
Yep, that's as I got it. Thanks for going to the trouble; I hope it hasn't put a pall on your revels. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Try this. One take, played badly, after three glasses of port. Sorry.
Yep, that's as I got it. Thanks for going to the trouble; I hope it hasn't put a pall on your revels. :)
Not in the least. We were doing an online port tasting with Oscar from Quevedo port producers in Portugal. It was great. :)

Anyway, no clue? Nobody?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Yay! Got it!

I had tried it in tunepal, but in the key shown, i.e. D. I tried it again, this time in G, and tunepal returned the answer. It's The Primrose Polka. :D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes! The Kilfenora had that. But I think we should blame Jimmy Shand for that one.

Still think I heard words to it though.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:In my head, at least, today's is a piano duet.
And here was me looking for something like one of Schubert's Marches Militaires...

And the funny thing is it could have been anything from your polka to that!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Speaking of earworms, this one spawned a new one. On a 1950s/early sixties recording of the Kilfenora I have they play the Primrose and the Bluebell polka together at a dance. Saxophone and all. So now the Bluebell polka has kicked in in my inner ear. :swear:
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Speaking of earworms, this one spawned a new one. On a 1950s/early sixties recording of the Kilfenora I have they play the Primrose and the Bluebell polka together at a dance. Saxophone and all. So now the Bluebell polka has kicked in in my inner ear. :swear:
The funny thing is, the same thing happened to me. For a different reason though. The Bluebell was, of course, one of Jimmy Shand's most famous recordings, especially in the 1955 release. As soon as I realised that 'my' tune was the Primrose Polka, The Bluebell Polka started playing right after it!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perhaps it's not so strange how we arrive at these things: I only have to step out of the door to see an abundance of both primroses and bluebells. It's that time of year. Just hope the Cuckoo Waltz won't be the next earworm.
My brain hurts