Mound

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Mound

Post by Nanohedron »

an seanduine wrote:Clearly I took enough English Lit classes to make me unemployable. :cry:
'Twas not hire learning. Ahem.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

:boggle:
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
PB+J wrote:I wondered if it had something to do with dancers “battering”
Which leads one to ask where the ram comes into it. A sheep clattering on cobbles? But that's stretching things, seems like.

Thinking of a young headstrong male dancer.

I suppose it could refer, joyfully, to the moment when the door to the great house was broken down. But the melody doesn't sound triumphal and it's got nothing at all of menace, or sorrow from the dispossessed.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Goats butting heads! I hadn't thought of that one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Going back up the thread to my mention of Holy Wells: St Fíonnán's in Co Kerry is reportedly attracting a fair few people, looking for the cure against the virus. Fíonnán is believed to have stopped the plague, so why couldn't he do it again?
My brain hurts