It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm 

Just wanted to say hello!

Longtime lurker here who has become enthralled and enchanted with the Irish and Scottish traditions. My first love was fiddle, and after god-knows how many years of classical and jazz/blues/latin training across several instruments I finally course-corrected (/sarcasm - everything I've explored so far has been amazing, but not for me) and am re-learning... well, everything. I've been building a session repertoire of tunes, and have added tenor banjo and tin whistle to the list. The last 8 months have felt kind of like coming home, in music.

Figured I should finally register because I found that A) there's plenty of conversations to be had, and what with needing physical isolation given the times right now, why not go digital? and B) I've heard the siren call of adding flute to my tin whistle experience, and as such also want to have the Used Instruments exchange as an option. Also, hence the need to wrack up a post count.

I figure after making the big leap to flute, it'll be great to have the boards as a resource as well. Hopefully, that will sate the instrument acquisition drive for a while - I've ambitions for a double-row button box in a few years, or maybe pipes. Though, right now I have enough on my plate for a while as is, never mind adding flute and all its intricacies - that might stop me in my tracks for years anyway! :D

So, I figure a little about me - I'm a New Englander, and a student of earth science expecting a bachelor's and a release into the big, wide world come May. If we're not all dead from lack of toilet paper by then. I'm also a big fan of various outdoor pursuits, and a voracious reader of (quality)fiction/fantasy, non-fiction, folklore, and poetry. But music tends to dominate my free time - it's a bug that doesn't ever seem to let you go, and I've been bitten. Please send help.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you all either here or on the boards!
-Tom

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm 
Moderatorer

TomFoolery wrote:
If we're not all dead from lack of toilet paper by then.

There's always leafy matter. Just keep away from the poison ivy and you'll probably be fine.

Welcome. :)

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
There's always leafy matter. Just keep away from the poison ivy and you'll probably be fine.

But of course! Poison oak has a far more comforting texture to the leaves, anyway.

Thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:19 pm 

Welcome to the posting side. I lurked for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 am 

You say that you're hoping that these boards will sate the instrument acquisition drive for a while? :boggle: Good luck with that! Soon you'll be hoarding instruments like they were toilet paper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:34 am 

How many whistles did you say you have? .....it's not enough! :lol:

Your collection of whistles & flutes will inevitably grow, don't worry about it..... just accept it as the norm. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am 

Welcome! I cannot help with the flute or any other instrument than the whistle. I found my calling with the whistle. I too was a lurker for longer than I should've been.