COOKING

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Michael w6
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

COOKING

Post by Michael w6 »

Any members own an Air Fryer? What brand and are you pleased with it?
A moment of carelessness, a lifetime of regret.
A lifetime of carelessness, a moment of regret.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: COOKING

Post by Nanohedron »

By Pub standards this has lain fallow for quite a while, so I thought I'd check in. Have you learned anything elsewhere? Not owning one myself, I did some checking up on air fryers, and it seems to me that I'd have no use for one on a number of grounds.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I do a *lot* of cooking. In a year's time, my wife might cook once. If I'm lucky.

I kinda came to the same conclusion about an air fryer, so I've never owned one.

I use the crap out of my pressure cooker, though.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Michael w6
Tell us something.: I have played bagpipes for several years. Open heart surgery in 2014 took me out for several months and I have not yet returned. I have begun to pursue the penny whistle instead. I'm looking for advice and friends in this new instrument.

Post by Michael w6 »

@Nano = I coworker has one she loves. I've gotten one but have not yet made use of it. It seems like a good alternative to using the oven for single serving meals.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Michael w6 wrote:It seems like a good alternative to using the oven for single serving meals.
I didn't think of that possibility; I was under the impression that an air fryer was something of a one-trick pony, a monotasker.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Michael w6

Post by Michael w6 »

There are some posts on YT about their use. There are some fried foods I like such as samosas or egg rolls. Frying is cumbersome for single servings and the air fryer, not using immersion in oil, also seems a lot healthier.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I see. I don't do much frying of any kind - when I do, it's usually scrambled eggs, for the most part - so an air fryer would get little use from me, if any.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Wanderer wrote:I do a *lot* of cooking. In a year's time, my wife might cook once. If I'm lucky.

I kinda came to the same conclusion about an air fryer, so I've never owned one.

I use the crap out of my pressure cooker, though.
My daughter keeps wanting to get an air fryer, but like you I don't see the point.

Yes but the pressure cooker--use that all the time. I have an instant pot and it's the single best kitchen gadget I ever got.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't have an air fryer, and wouldn't get one. I used to have a pressure cooker but, because I don't like aluminium pans, I stopped using it many years ago. I haven't missed it one bit.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Nanohedron wrote:
Michael w6 wrote:It seems like a good alternative to using the oven for single serving meals.
I didn't think of that possibility; I was under the impression that an air fryer was something of a one-trick pony, a monotasker.
It's just a tiny convection oven.

I already don't use the convection setting on my big oven ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:I already don't use the convection setting on my big oven ;)
And why is that? Some people seem to really like them. I've never had one, myself, so I have no point of reference.
trill

Post by trill »

Wanderer wrote: . . . I use the crap out of my pressure cooker, though.
I'll second the comments on pressure cookers.

Received one as a gift several years ago.

Lots of food. Low effort. Best/softest brown rice ever.

Now a kitchen mainstay.

trill

ps: Love the geeky-appeal of harnessing pressure, as opposed to losing all that steam.

Efficiency will matter again someday: http://cluborlov.blogspot.com//p/the-fi ... lapse.html

Buy one. Now. And a spare.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I used to have a pressure cooker but, because I don't like aluminium pans, I stopped using it many years ago. I haven't missed it one bit.
If I did get one I would invest in steel, or at least steel-lined. But given my usual cooking methods I haven't felt a need for one yet, so it's a pretty far-distant consideration. Mom put hers to a lot of use, but then there were seven mouths to feed (never mind the dogs and cats, too), and without a doubt that pressure cooker made her life a lot easier. In retrospect, I think that at one time I actually did buy one myself, but that would have been many years ago, and I never inherited the pressure-cooking gene, so who knows what eventually happened to it. Probably wandered off with a broken heart.
trill

Post by trill »

The one I have has a stainless-steel interior liner. It's the pressure vessel. Pops right out. Easy to clean. Nice juicy gasket to hold the pressure-lid (also SS).
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I am not sure how many of these I still have: https://www.amazon.com/All-American-2-Q ... B00004S88Z
Either six or eight. This is a deadly serious pressure cooking vessel. The safest possible for home canning. At one time, when we were still involved with growing mushrooms, we would be running eight of these at a time, three times a week. The aluminum makes them more efficient. For canning, you would use quart or pint jars. For cooking you would place your choice of stainless steel cooking vessel inside. Add 5-8 cups of water. Crank the ´dogs´ down, then let it vent for 10 minutes before closing off the ´popoff valve´. Take it up to 250 degrees and away you go. Metal to metal no gasket seal. Geared pressure gauge. The perfect autoclave for your cloth facemasks. Half hour at 250 degrees should about do it. :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi