My preciousssssssssss.......

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My preciousssssssssss.......

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I've found it in Wiktionary, and it looks sufficient to me, but not entirely helpful, since it says that the suffix "-pause" is "indicative of a pause or discontinuance". In other words, it could be either temporary or permanent.
I've been furiously scouring the Web in every way I can think of - the Wiktionary entry you mention is also part of the monkeypile - and I've had to arrive at the same conclusion as you: Even in Boffinspeak, it looks as if it's a tossup.
david_h wrote:Nano's 'plain English' Great Pause has the right feel for me.
Well, it's not "mine", strictly speaking, because I didn't coin it. Wish I had, though. That's what I love about plain English: Although simple, it's reliable for much better poetic force than ornate loanwords can ever lend. We still have to use loanwords, but I'm always a tad wary of them at the same time; it's too easy to fall into the lurid trap of sesquipedalian euphuism. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:...In other words, it could be either temporary or permanent.
Which, I suggest, is a good reason not to use it even if others do. I have been racking my brains for a term use in earth sciences. Found it in the thesaurus. Hiatus.

I do think a spatial use for anthropause is better. With climate change it couldn't be strictly applied but I think it would be good for things like the edge of the exclusion zone round Chernobyl.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:That's what I love about plain English: Although simple, it's reliable for much better poetic force than ornate loanwords can ever lend.
Try this for simple english: https://www.splasho.com/upgoer5/.

I tried to describe a mobile phone: "small box that lets you speak to me with from a long way off" was the best I managed.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:Try this for simple english: https://www.splasho.com/upgoer5/.

I tried to describe a mobile phone: "small box that lets you speak to me with from a long way off" was the best I managed.
I've had a go. It's interesting. My version was:

"thing you can use to speak to me from far away and also allows me to speak to you"
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:"thing you can use to speak to me from far away and also allows me to speak to you"
Way better than mine..... though we are allowed 'something' instead of 'thing'. Would that be an improvement?
Phill

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:"thing you can use to speak to me from far away and also allows me to speak to you"
Way better than mine..... though we are allowed 'something' instead of 'thing'. Would that be an improvement?
I can't make up my mind between "thing" and "something" in that context. :-?
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

To me 'thing' sounds like a one off but 'something' sounds like a class of things.

(That is allowed too)
(thing that uses its self)
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

C'mon, guys. Everyone knows it's "That which nobody takes their eyes off of so they bump into things and get cricky necks and sore thumbs".

We can't do without loanwords altogether; even the common "allow", which Ben and DrPhill used, is one. When I say simple or plain English, I don't mean simple words: I mean clear, easy-to-grasp speech. Simple words are indeed plain speech's workhorse, but they can't do it all. In limiting our word selection as in the exercise above, it's obvious that simple, plain English is rendered impossible because eliminating words that convey complex ideas in a concise way makes it harder to communicate.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:their eyes off of
Ugh! Is that an Americanism? :really:

Also, "cricky" is not a permitted word.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:their eyes off of
Ugh! Is that an Americanism? :really:
I doubt it. It's just not a Benism, as I have now learned. In the dangling of participles there is a quaint Americanism, though, that is popularly held to be a signature feature of the upper Midwest and Minnesota in particular: "Are you coming with?" The "me/us" is implied, in case anyone's missed the obvious. But I don't think my region should get all the blame; I know I've heard it out of New Yorkers and others as well, so ...

In any case I don't see what the big deal is. After all, people say, "Are you coming along?" all the time, and think nothing of it. It's just a variant of the same thing.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I managed ´far speak listen box´. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Oops. Sorry, Ben, I just trampled on your post thinking I was replying. I can't find a way to correct it. Ouch. My bad. :oops:
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

an seanduine wrote:I managed ´far speak listen box´.
**well done that is the shortest yet**

(I am using ** as shorthand for it passed the test)

EDIT: **'far speaking and listening box' seems a little cleaner**
Phill

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Oops. Sorry, Ben, I just trampled on your post thinking I was replying. I can't find a way to correct it. Ouch. My bad. :oops:
Er. Yes. I'll delete it. Took me a while and a fair bit of thought, too.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Aw, jeez, Ben - I just got it all fixed and was ready to bring it back to the way it was...

We still can, you know.