My preciousssssssssss.......

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My preciousssssssssss.......

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:Good tactic. If someone comes up to you and tries to take what you have, promptly cough on it.
There you go. :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby wrote:Meanwhile, with cafés and restaurant about to close people were queuing outside Dutch coffee shops on Sunday to stockpile cannabis :D
I guess if you're going to stay home you might as well stay entertained.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

That stuff will keep you on your couch for sure. :lol:
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I just had three social interactions all via internet--two with students, one with Conal O Grada, who was sporting a very stylish hat. toilet paper supply holding out. My wife wants to go to getting groceries delivered. I guess she's right. But christ I'm gong to need to get out of the house at some point
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:My wife wants to go to getting groceries delivered. I guess she's right. But christ I'm gong to need to get out of the house at some point
Groceries are what get me out, because if I had them delivered I'd have to remember brands and such, and while I probably could for most of it, the idea drives me crazy. Being a hunter-gatherer by temperament, I'm basically just a look-and-grab kinda guy. But since I don't eat much anyway, I don't grocery shop more than once every one or two weeks, there are always free hand sanitizer wipes and dispensers at the stores for the shopper to use, and I typically shop late when there are few people about. Plus I get a chance to talk with the cashier for a bit. Then sanitize again, and when I get home, wash the hands. If I'm going to dance with the devil, I call the tune.

I suppose if I get antsy enough I could go for recreational drives, but that's never really been my thing, so ... nah. I drive the laptop instead.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Yes I hate pre-planning and tend to go to the grocery store everyday. My wife is an "essential employee" and still has to go in to work--our daughter and I keep telling he she has not idea how lucky she is. But she just went to "week on/week off," the whole company did, so she'll get to experience it soon enough

Flute lesson was great, I got some great corrections on the hold and he spotted some issues
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

From what I hear grocery delivery slots are booked out (here) for the foreseeable so we have to chance it every now and again. I tend to go in with a small list of things that have run out but do mostly buy things as I find them so I wouldn't be much good at ordering online. And it's, normally, a good excuse to go into (a) town, have a cup of coffee while there and not be on the back of beyond for an hour or so.

I haven't been anywhere since Friday but even on the back road where I live things feel more quiet, the neighbours checking their cattle but no traffic to speak of going anywhere else. Wife has set up office in the backroom. We've dug in.

An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar gave bleak, public address last night. He got it right, fair play to him. “This is the calm before the storm, before the surge. And when it comes, and it will come, never will so many ask so much of so few.”
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

All home shopping delivery slots were full right up to May, there's next to nothing on the shelves when you get to the shops - so it's time to issue the Ration Card again!!!
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

fatmac wrote:so it's time to issue the Ration Card again!!!
I think you're right, I've just got back from posting a few bits and there's no pasta, rice or toilet rolls at the supermarket, again. There were other gaps but not sure what was meant to be there.

I work part time at the local hospital but I'm on leave this week and go back Monday, it'll be interesting to see whats happening there. Before I finished last week people were stealing the hand sanitizers from the ends of the beds :boggle:

Iain
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

I think what we see here is less "panic" and more alternations in buying. I assume a modern supermarket chain store is probably very precise about how much it orders because it has very precise information about the buying habits of its regular customers. So instead of buying one jar of peanut butter I buy two. If everybody does that the store sells out quickly, because their supply chain was optimized for their customers buying one jar of peanut butter every 1.5 weeks, or whatever.

If everybody buys just a bit more than usual it all goes to hell. So I think it's less people going nuts and buying twenty pounds of dried beans and more somebody who doesn't usually buy dried beans picking up a bag or two.

Things here are very strange, but one of the nice things is you see lot of families out going for walks or playing ball.

There is a new school being built behind our house and those guys are hard at work. The local stores are open but we are trying not to go
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Here in Connecticut my local stores have low inventories since the early panic set in with some items wiped out. I'm slowly balancing needs vs. wants with fewer trips out. Home delivery although available is not for me. I'm sticking to diet of fried fish and chicken for the duration just to kill any virus. And I'm sitting in the sun alone as much as possible as I believe the sun is the ultimate healer for everything.

So I really didn't follow the early discoveries of the Covid-19 coronavirus in China but did hear mention that virus was transmitted from a particular animal to humans. What's to say that the virus won't continue to spread through the animal kingdom and continue to transmit to humans from other animals?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A bit of après-St. Paddy's Day commentary:

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:A bit of après-St. Paddy's Day commentary:

So ... instead of a crock of gold, it's a crock of ... ???
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just made a trip to the shops. It was quiet on the road, didn't meet a soul on the way out (10 km) but I was out early. Ennistymon was quiet but not deserted, a few people going round the supermarkets, mostly elderly women and mountainy bachelors. No mad buying, shelves well stocked, pretty close to normal. No social distancing possible at the baker's (and himself giving out about everybody arriving at the same time for their bread), cafés open as normal. Drove by a house on the way back, there was a pigeon on the gate.

It helps it's a gorgeous spring day, we have had the northern winds that bring perfectly clear and clean air from the North Atlantic, blue skies without the usual contrails of the transatlantic flights that normally pass over north of us. A pair of ravens doing air acrobatics over the house on their way to wherever they are going. And permission for building a sea wall on Doughmore bay is still being withheld on appeal . :wink:

Things don't look quite as bleak today, there are a few sparks of light.

Primroses growing wild beside the shed
My brain hurts

PB+J

Post by PB+J »

I went out this afternoon and played the flute on the front porch for about 20 minutes, ran through every jig, reel, hornpipe and polka I know well enough to venture publicly. Lots of people on their front porches or out strolling. People applauded and asked for more! Told me I sounded good! I feel I know better, but I guess I'm at the stage where a crowd of people who know nothing about Irish traditional music think i sound ok. One of the neighbors is a serious adult Irish dancer. She said I sounded good but admitted I was not at the tempo she'd want. But she's very pregnant at the moment and not dancing. The neighbors were cheerful, kind and friendly

Tomorrow another skype lesson with Mr O Grada. Maybe some good will come of this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Had to go on a special errand on someone's behalf, and since most of the time I'm "sheltering in place", I was surprised at how many people were out shopping; it was like any other day in consumerist paradise. Either they like their odds, or the overwhelming need to shop for its own sake has made them fatalistic. Didn't really see anything in others' carts that I would call hoarding behavior, so either everyone's already stocked up, or we're just not that panicky around here. I suspect it's the latter, although I did notice that the shelves with baby care products were nearly empty, which is understandable. I did make sure I sanitized my hands before I left, and that was that.

I also noticed that "social distancing" has proven to be a rather elastic concept.