My preciousssssssssss.......

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My preciousssssssssss.......

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Who knows; maybe he's got 20 kids. Maybe the woman if front of him does, too.
Maybe they trade on ebay.
Right! Didn't think of that. But that's to be expected of me; if I have any head for business at all, it's a wee, wee nubbin.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Speaking of business ventures:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Quoted from MSN: "Nino carries a basket with some groceries for his owner in Bogota, Colombia, on July 17, 2020. Nino learned to carry the basket as a puppy, and as time passed he began to bring food to his owner, Jose Ever Henao, 62, who is currently part of the population at risk during the pandemic."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:Image
Good idea - I guess these days psittacosis may not be the first thing the medics think of.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Made me think of Banksy, actually:

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:Image
Only just saw this.
We received an ebay purchase a couple of weeks ago. Large cardboard box over-full of bubble wrap, so bulging. I carefully ran a blade round the packing tape to reduce contact. The flaps popped open and something tinkled onto the floor - a Corona Extra bottle cap. No relevance to the purchase. Just someone's quirky sense of humour I guess.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:Just someone's quirky sense of humour I guess.
Or SUI - Shipping Under the Influence.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Scenes from the wildening of the Anthropause: Mountain goats taking in the sights at Llandudno.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Those goats started roaming into town in Wales early during the lockdown : video of Llandudno goats, late march. I suppose that sort of thing ended when lockdown eased.

You have to wonder what will be next, things were pretty good for a while but with easing of restrictions people flocked out and clusters started emerging again. Laois, Kildare and Offaly went back into lockdown yesterday. And further easing of restrictions was halted for the rest of the country. I was in Galway on Thursday and Limerick on Saturday, getting supplies that aren't available locally, doing useful things tha needed doing and getting a whiff of normality like having lunch out while at it. Hadn't been to Galway since christmas time and Limerick since february. The sun was out while we got some fringe benefits from a European heatwave that drove Irish temperatures up to 20-21 C. It was reasonably busy, people in the cities behaving more cautiously than the holiday crowd we get on the coast. It wasa matter of going out briefly, before whatever comes next.

And last night a load of turf arrived from the bog. It's the sort of thing that happens, you talk to a man about turf, nothing happens and weeks later, when you least expect it, the phone tells you they are on their way and you have a job on your hands getting it inside the shed.

(not the current load but you get the idea)
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

So how long should a supply like that last?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So how long should a supply like that last?
Lighting the fire only in the evenings for a few hours that will last a few months. A tractor trailer load like that is about four tons of it.
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

After much back and forth we drove our daughter to a nature camp in West Virginia. it's a very rustic place, more a wildlife studies place than a recreational camp. She's been going since she was eight, and this would have been her last year.

Normally it's two weeks, but they shortened it to 6 days, and normally it's 40+ kids, but they limited to 16 kids 15 years old. They took a lot of very thoughtful precautions--kids must wear masks, everything outside, partitions in the bunkhouse which has screen walls, daily temperature checks. But we are still really worried that it was a mistake. I felt like her mental health required this--she's been cooped up in the house almost without relief since march, with two scholarly old people.

She's very serious about ballet, and has been doing hours of video classes a day. The studio wants to resume in-person classes and tape their annual performance of the nutcracker, which would mean dancing in the corps and as a lead. They are close together and breathing heavily. We're going to have to say no to that. She will be miserable, and understandably so. It's heartbreaking.

It did not have to be like this