WOW. Bendy Road Mam Tor Castleton

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

WOW. Bendy Road Mam Tor Castleton

Post by an seanduine »

Santa was kind to me after Black Friday and gave me a 2-1 Chromebook. The default wallpaper is an astonishing picture from the Peaks District in England. Check it out at https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/phot ... popup=true

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: WOW. Bendy Road Mam Tor Castleton

Post by Nanohedron »

Wow is right. The scenery's fantastic, but $499 to buy the picture?!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Santa assures me the entire Chromebook was less than that :D Plus every time I boot up I get to admire that view in stunning color :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:Santa was kind to me after Black Friday and gave me a 2-1 Chromebook. The default wallpaper is an astonishing picture from the Peaks District in England. Check it out at https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/phot ... popup=true

Bob
The Peak District is lovely. It's really lovely to be out in. The scenery is much gentler and softer than the Lake District, and there aren't so many scary mountain walks. Now, people will say I'm a wimp, but there are quite a few walks in the Lake District that I won't go up. The hills of the Peak District are much friendlier and less austere. And only about three hours drive from me. :)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I used to walk both the Lake District & the Dark Peaks, really are lovely places. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Nanohedron wrote:Wow is right. The scenery's fantastic, but $499 to buy the picture?!
It's not like they're charging $499 for a print of a photograph. It's an unlimited royalty-free license. Meaning that $499 gives you the right to put it on t-shirts, use as album covers or book covers, or whatever. The two larger (and larger-priced) pictures are set at 300dpi, which is the proper resolution for print runs. It's assumed that you'd use the license/picture to generate some kind of profit for yourself. I don't think Getty is assuming that someone's gonna pay the license so they can use the picture as a desktop wallpaper on a single machine :P
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, right. I didn't think of that.

As you might guess, I'm not very business-minded.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I sometimes envy people who have the patience to plan a picture and wait for the appropriate light/time of day. I have some lovely landscapes within reach but somehow the weather changes, showers or mist arrive when I want to have a stab at landscapes. So I mostly take shots as I find them.

My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

That´s another WOW, Peter.
The trick will be to sell it as ´wallpaper´ :D

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The trick will be to sell it as ´wallpaper´
I have no head for business.

I do have a box of vintage B&W silverprints of musicianers that I used to sell in Custy's, old stock. I mean to put them up for sale for christmas each year but never do in the end. If anyone is interested, give me a shout.

That snap I took last month or so. It's the Bridges of Ross. We drove up to the Loop Head peninsula to take a few pics and do a bit of walking. By the time we came to Kilbaha a weather front arrived with drizzle, reducing the visibility dramatically. There was a regatta on, curraghs everywhere ready to launch. It weas a bit miserable. On the way back the weather lifted briefly so we got a walk in at the Bridges of Ross. The place used to be a tourist spot during Victorian times, three rock arches its most spectacular feature. During a storm two fell into the sea and its fame waned. It's a geologist's playground.

Here's another one, that's Ballynahoun, where the man lived who gave Micho Ril Bheag Bhaile Na nUan, the little reel of Ballynahoun. I walk there often, you can go there twenty times and just see a grey horizon and then another time, the rare occasion where everything falls into place, you get a full view of the Connemara mountains across the water. You can't really predict it, just marvel at the view when you get it. And no need to sell it. Interesting place, full of unexpected corners, glacial erratics, a free standing rock (the Fear Bréige) with a face on him almost like the moai of Easter Island, remains of life from the bronze age right up to the present day, herds of feral goats, stories and lore. The setting too of Anne Enright's 'The Green Road'.

My brain hurts

DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.