Consulting the Geek Oracle: The WebContents Occlusion Fiasco

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Consulting the Geek Oracle: The WebContents Occlusion Fiasco

Post by Nanohedron »

Article in the link below:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-BBWP4Sj

The gist, as I understand it, is that it's really more of concern to businesses, and they say the average home user won't have been affected, but I wonder, because while I thankfully haven't experienced the White Screen of Death, I've still noticed some changes, the most notable of which is page load time. This appears to have been concurrent with Google's disastrous WebContents Occlusion change. I have a new HP Envy laptop running Windows 10, and am using Chrome. Previously it was fast as lightning, but as an example of the change, I just went to the above link, timed it, and it took 55 seconds to load fully. Page loading time for C&F is considerably shorter, but it's still too long compared to before. In practical terms I can usually read such pages fairly early on, and things like the donation clicky in the Hunger Site seem to work right away even though the page is laboring to load, but full arrangement and finishing touches (ads and pictures, mostly) are now frustratingly slow. It was never that way before; full load time used to be practically instantaneous. I know, I know: First World problems. Webroot did a scan just yesterday, and I have no viruses.

Any ideas if there is a connection to the WebContents Occlusion event?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Re: Consulting the Geek Oracle: The WebContents Occlusion Fi

Post by Nanohedron »

No one?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Nothing to offer here. Have you tried a different browser, to rule out network and server issues?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks. Looks like I might have to.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I don't use Windows, I use Linux or BSD, but on one of my Linux machines using Firefox, it sometimes has problems shortly after starting up, so I close it down & start up another instance of the browser, & can continue unhindered.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

All right, I tried that - even unplugged it for 30 seconds after shutting down - and the issue seems unchanged. Grrr.