"Music Trancends Words"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brus
antispam: No

"Music Trancends Words"

Post by Brus »

(TEARJERKER WARNING)

Difficult to believe there can be so much emotion in a commercial advertisement - this is for Tosando Music of Japan:

https://soranews24.com/2014/04/15/touch ... nce-again/

Arigato, Tosando ...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
PB+J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: "Music Trancends Words"

Post by PB+J »

I didn’t watch it, because everything that isn’t words transcend words. Words are never the things they describe. Music is no different from anything: sport transcends words, food transcends words, cement work transcends words. It’s unfair to beat up on words for not being things
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I watched it. It was poignant. I think I'm more analytical than emotional, though, because I tend to be immune to the tearjerker aspect, and this too was no exception. But my dry eyes notwithstanding, it was quite moving, all the same.
PB+J wrote:It’s unfair to beat up on words for not being things
Words are not things? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
bwat
Tell us something.: Woodwind and brass player. Interested in jazz and folk music. I'm here for the flute discussions. I really can't think of anything else to report and I have to pad this out to at least 1000 characters.

Post by bwat »

PB+J wrote: Words are never the things they describe.
There is a whole class of words that are what they describe. These words are the autological adjectives. An example is the English word ’English’, another is ’seventeenlettered’. The opposite is the class of heterological adjectives. Now ask yourself this: is ’heterologic’ heterologic?
Brus

Post by Brus »

PB+J wrote:It’s unfair to beat up on words for not being things
No words are beaten up in the video. Music is used in a situation where a short speech would be expected.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)