Freezer burn

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Freezer burn

Post by awildman »

I did not know prior to yesterday that ice packs could literally burn one's skin. I now have a palm-sized burn that closely resembles a severe sunburn. Blisters, redness, pain, etc. I always thought that having a layer of protection between skin and cold pack was for the comfort of weak people. Now I know better.
Tor

Re: Freezer burn

Post by Tor »

If it's cold enough you'll get blisters just as you would with burns. I've had them myselves and I've met people with huge frost bubbles, I remember a woman who had a single large one covering her arm from wrist to elbow.
The difference from burns is that the skin covering the blister is slightly thinner.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Yup. Those of us who live in colder climates may have more experience with ice. :D
awildman

Post by awildman »

It's amazing how something so obvious in hindsight can be missed. I've used ice packs for arthritic flareups for years now, and been out in the cold plenty as a child. Just have never had a 2nd degree burn from it before, and not even a first-degree burn that I can recall. A little windburn of the face and hands occasionally, but that is all.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

awildman wrote: I've used ice packs for arthritic flareups for years now, and been out in the cold plenty as a child.
Children seem to run with a higher thermostat. I remember my mom and dad telling me I needed snow pants or to zip up my jacket when I felt fine with my hat off and my coat tails flying.

I am now the first to find the thickest down coat in the house when the temperature drops. Seems the older I get... :)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

awildman wrote:I did not know prior to yesterday that ice packs could literally burn one's skin. I now have a palm-sized burn that closely resembles a severe sunburn. Blisters, redness, pain, etc. I always thought that having a layer of protection between skin and cold pack was for the comfort of weak people. Now I know better.
Frostbite. Having layer(s) between you and the cold can make the sensation of the cold less uncomfortable, but cold enough temps, applied long enough, will cause frostbite.

Previous tolerance to cold does not predict future tolerance. As we age our circulatory efficiency tends to decrease, making us more susceptible to cold injury. Likewise, things like alcohol, tobacco and certain drugs reduce circulation through vasoconstriction, thus negatively impacting circulation. And, of course, diseases like diabetes put one at higher risk as well.

I can’t give specific treatment or prevention advice, per the forum rules, so be safe with the ice packs and don’t go licking any frozen sign posts :P :boggle:

Feel better soon.

Loren
(Wilderness EMT)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote:I can’t give specific treatment or prevention advice, per the forum rules...
As long as it's first aid or telling people to bundle up, sure you can. Suggesting medications beyond NSAIDs and other strictly professional stuff is what breaks the rule. Herbal remedies are also best left alone.
Loren wrote:...and don’t go licking any frozen sign posts :P :boggle:
I still remember the day I did. *shudder*
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician