It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Freezer burn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 pm 

I did not know prior to yesterday that ice packs could literally burn one's skin. I now have a palm-sized burn that closely resembles a severe sunburn. Blisters, redness, pain, etc. I always thought that having a layer of protection between skin and cold pack was for the comfort of weak people. Now I know better.

Post subject: Re: Freezer burn
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:40 am 

If it's cold enough you'll get blisters just as you would with burns. I've had them myselves and I've met people with huge frost bubbles, I remember a woman who had a single large one covering her arm from wrist to elbow.
The difference from burns is that the skin covering the blister is slightly thinner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 pm 

Yup. Those of us who live in colder climates may have more experience with ice. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 pm 

It's amazing how something so obvious in hindsight can be missed. I've used ice packs for arthritic flareups for years now, and been out in the cold plenty as a child. Just have never had a 2nd degree burn from it before, and not even a first-degree burn that I can recall. A little windburn of the face and hands occasionally, but that is all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 am 

awildman wrote:
I've used ice packs for arthritic flareups for years now, and been out in the cold plenty as a child.

Children seem to run with a higher thermostat. I remember my mom and dad telling me I needed snow pants or to zip up my jacket when I felt fine with my hat off and my coat tails flying.

I am now the first to find the thickest down coat in the house when the temperature drops. Seems the older I get... :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 pm 

awildman wrote:
I did not know prior to yesterday that ice packs could literally burn one's skin. I now have a palm-sized burn that closely resembles a severe sunburn. Blisters, redness, pain, etc. I always thought that having a layer of protection between skin and cold pack was for the comfort of weak people. Now I know better.

Frostbite. Having layer(s) between you and the cold can make the sensation of the cold less uncomfortable, but cold enough temps, applied long enough, will cause frostbite.

Previous tolerance to cold does not predict future tolerance. As we age our circulatory efficiency tends to decrease, making us more susceptible to cold injury. Likewise, things like alcohol, tobacco and certain drugs reduce circulation through vasoconstriction, thus negatively impacting circulation. And, of course, diseases like diabetes put one at higher risk as well.

I can’t give specific treatment or prevention advice, per the forum rules, so be safe with the ice packs and don’t go licking any frozen sign posts :P :boggle:

Feel better soon.

Loren
(Wilderness EMT)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:01 pm 
Moderatorer

Loren wrote:
I can’t give specific treatment or prevention advice, per the forum rules...

As long as it's first aid or telling people to bundle up, sure you can. Suggesting medications beyond NSAIDs and other strictly professional stuff is what breaks the rule. Herbal remedies are also best left alone.

Loren wrote:
...and don’t go licking any frozen sign posts :P :boggle:

I still remember the day I did. *shudder*

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano