It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm 
Moderatorer

I used to be a rabid fan of cyberpunk author William Gibson. He envisioned a Japanese garden with a wandering robotic crab of tastefully rusted iron, scissors for its claws, always at work trimming the grass. I want one for my yard.

I might settle for a Roomba one day, but then I'd have to get a cat. No Roomba is complete without a cat to ride it.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:37 am 

My workplace now has food delivery robots--a fleet of 25 of them. They're like a six wheeled cooler with headlights and sensors on the front. They have a little LED pennant flying on a whip antenna. They're all over campus, everywhere you walk you see them. Students put an app on their phone, place their order, the food place puts it in the cooler, and the robot drives across campus on the footpaths and sidewalks, then notifies the student when it's reached the dorm. He comes down and unlocks the cooler using his phone.

They're cute looking and they seem pretty smart--they stop at crosswalks, they adjust their course when you walk in front of them; they don't run into things. They stop and think about it sometimes. They don't care about rain although they aren't going to work in snow or heavy ice. I don't know if they use GPS or a combination of a preloaded map and environmental sensors. Its fun to watch them rolling purposefully all over the campus.

They don't seem better than human delivery people--they seem much slower, because they pause for a long time at the crosswalks and they only have one speed, like a modest walk. Also some kid was helping pay for his college education by delivering food. Now that job's gone. I'm pretty sure the company that makes them got a hefty subsidy to try out the product

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:33 pm 
Moderatorer

Have any been tagged with graffiti yet? That's a lot of blank space just ripe for the taking. Hey: admin should consider having the art department glorify the little tykes.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Have any been tagged with graffiti yet? That's a lot of blank space just ripe for the taking. Hey: admin should consider having the art department glorify the little tykes.

Yes we are all waiting for the inevitable student pranks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 pm 

PB+J wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Any idea what the weight bearing capacity is? If Charles Darwin could ride Galapagos tortoises, I don't see why students shouldn't get to ride those puppies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 am 

AaronFW wrote:
PB+J wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Any idea what the weight bearing capacity is? If Charles Darwin could ride Galapagos tortoises, I don't see why students shouldn't get to ride those puppies.

They would be rideable but I doubt they can bear more than the weight of a few sandwiches and a couple soft drinks. They slow down a bit going up hill.

The whole thing seems kind of dumb to me but they are cute as hell wandering all over campus