I thought this amusing...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: I thought this amusing...

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
DrPhill wrote:It amuses me to imagine someone trying to clean my avatar off their screen..... little things, little minds :wink: .
I've always found it simultaneously irritating and amusing. I imagine that you're quite happy with that response.
As long as the amusement outweighs the irritation, then yes. If the pendulum swings too far the other way I will need to get a new avatar.
No, you're fine. :) Besides, Deb thinks it's great. :thumbsup:
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

DrPhill wrote:No, you're fine. :) Besides, Deb thinks it's great. :thumbsup:
Clealy a person with taste...
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
DrPhill wrote:No, you're fine. :) Besides, Deb thinks it's great. :thumbsup:
Clealy a person with taste...
Possibly not, in one respect at least ... :oops:
Tor

Post by Tor »

DrPhill wrote: As long as the amusement outweighs the irritation, then yes. If the pendulum swings too far the other way I will need to get a new avatar.
I must admit that I have blocked your avatar (with one of my browser extensions). I just can't handle moving gifs and the like (it's been annoying since Netscape "invented" the blinking cursor - I remember the uproar. One of the first things people did when installing the browser was to figure out how to disable it. Advice could be found all over the net.)

Now I'll have to find a way to block the moving emojis I can see to the left when composing this message. I really really don't like such distractions (another thing is that browsers are actually using CPU to display this - doesn't matter much for one window, but I have between 100 and 200 windows and tabs open at all times, divided over 30 desktops, and these things keep moving even when I'm watching another window. And that shows when I look at the CPU usage.)
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Tor wrote:I must admit that I have blocked your avatar (with one of my browser extensions)
I did not think that it would arouse such strong negative reactions. Would you prefer it removed?

And I cannot conceive of a mind that can juggle hundreds of windows on tens of desktops..... I lose track at double digits. Awesome. What do you do?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Tor

Post by Tor »

DrPhill wrote:[Would you prefer it removed?
No no, I'm ok - because I can just filter it with an extension. No problem.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I was imagining Tor getting his aerobic exercise jogging around to the 30 desktops scattered around his office. Then I realized he probably meant virtual desktops. I just got a second monitor at work. Can’t find a damn thing; I keep looking in the wrong spot. I think I’ll tootle over to the wood stove thread, aka, Internet of Things.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

I am also very curious: Tor, what do you do with so many windows and desktops?

In my imagination, you work in some kind of NSA Security Operations Center with several dozen monitors: watching realtime-data of what is going on all around the globe, but you also use the same equipment to check C&F every once in a while.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I work on a lot of different projects, but only two or three at the same time. But after a while I'm moving over to another (earlier) project again, and I also have some where I have to quickly dive into it again when somebody enquires about something. So I always have all the information and all I need, carefully selected & searched & researched, for every project, and that sit in their own desktops. So when I want to go back to something, after, say, five months, I just move to that desktop. If I were to start from scratch each time I context-switch I wouldn't get anything done.
I do basically the same on my private laptop computer (for all my personal projects and things I do - programming, writing music scores, many other things)
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Have you considered packaging up all the context from a desktop in a batch file, sort of a "take me back where I was" command? On one of my projects, we've got a little utility that can save and re-launch all the open programs and browser windows (across several desktops). Helps when you're moving locations, recovering from computer failures, ...
Tor

Post by Tor »

That's an interesting idea. I don't have any utility (or at least not all the necessary parts) to pack away everything. I'm fine with browser windows - they come up with everything I kept there, if I just powered down the computer or when I kill the browser(s) - I do the latter every couple of weeks due to memory leaks. But not everything is in a browser.