I thought this amusing...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I thought this amusing...

Post by DrPhill »

... but wondered how much liberty he has taken with the melody to make it fit his narrative. It sounds feasible to my ears, but they are not that well educated.

Could a more knowlegeable musician comment, please ?

https://laughingsquid.com/star-spangled ... s-russian/
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: I thought this amusing...

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:... but wondered how much liberty he has taken with the melody to make it fit his narrative.
Not all that much. I might have done some things differently, but yer man was making a point for the sake of comedy, so he had some leeway in how he got there. It's true, though, that when you change a melody from major to minor and vice-versa, sometimes you have to do some tweaking to get the new thing to make sense to the ear.

For a while there I was doing this myself with tunes, just for amusement's sake. On whistle or simple-system flute it's most easily done by simply shifting the tune up or down a step; sometimes it works right out of the box, sometimes you have to tweak it, and sometimes it won't work no matter what you do. It depends on the melodic structure.

Case in point: The Rakes of Kildare. Just shift it down a step to G major and finger it as usual; works a treat, and no tweaking needed. As a farce I called it The Lawnmowers of Kildare (yes, YES, I know what is meant by "rakes" here) until I found out one day that The Lawnmowers of Kildare already existed before me; I heard a piper playing "my" tune - there was no way he could have gotten it from me - and not long after that found out there was a song with the same melody called Thank God We're Surrounded by Water. So I was not the mad genius after all. It was proof positive that this sort of reworking is not a new idea, at least within the Irish tradition. Besides, even though I'd never heard it before I came up with it, I was pretty sure from the beginning that I couldn't possibly have been the only one ever to have gone there with the very same tune; it wasn't that revolutionary an idea. But which came first? The Rakes, or TGWSBW? Who knows. And there are others, too. Anyway, pleased with my discovery and feeling mischievous, I trotted it out at a session on a hunch, and sure enough, everybody played along very well indeed, looking bewildered at each other and wondering how on Earth they even knew the mystery tune at all. Then the source was revealed, and they slapped their heads. It was a very interesting demonstration of muscle memory. The icing on the cake was when they heard what I'd named it: Even though they knew full well I wasn't born yesterday, they still sputtered and lectured me on what "rakes" meant, as expected. Good times. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks Nano (I can call you that can't I?). I was amused by the skit but did not want to be taken in by his pitch if he was cheating.... I am not sufficiently well ear-trained to know how much massaging he had done so I could easily have been suckered. ;-)
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:Thanks Nano (I can call you that can't I?).
Everyone else does, so be my guest. :)
DrPhill wrote:I was amused by the skit but did not want to be taken in by his pitch if he was cheating.... I am not sufficiently well ear-trained to know how much massaging he had done so I could easily have been suckered. ;-)
No, it was close enough to the original melodic contour. You can trust your ears on that. :)

As to sounding "Russian", well...depends on how picky you are. I would have voted not so much, but it's for a laugh, and probably a wry commentary on the times more than anything else.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:and probably a wry commentary on the times more than anything else
Yes topicality adds a certain frission. I was trying hard not to pass comment on the POTUS.
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

And C&F being the politics-free sanctuary it is, let us continue not to do so, no matter how our tongues may bleed.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

And any superiority on the subject expressed from this side of the pond would reap justified derision from the other.
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

True. It's why we've renounced political talk. Makes the atmosphere unpleasant.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:True. It's why we've renounced political talk. Makes the atmosphere unpleasant.
'Nuff said.
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

By the way, I've always liked your verminous avatar. :thumbsup:
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote:By the way, I've always liked your verminous avatar. :thumbsup:
Thanks but I can take no credit for the creation of it. Only the liberating of it from the 'creative commons'.
Yes, amusing, but only works where animated gifs are actually animated. It looks rather sad on stack overflow :tomato: .
Phill

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:It looks rather sad on stack overflow :tomato: .
I had to look that up. Being most lame, I assume you mean the website of that name and not Wikipedia's technical explanation.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

DrPhill wrote:I assume you mean the website of that name
Indeed, I was rushing to do some stuff before bedtime, and did not consider carefully enough the clarity of that statement.
StackOverflow avatars do not animate, so mine is currently a dirty speck.

It amuses me to imagine someone trying to clean my avatar off their screen..... little things, little minds :wink: .
Phill

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:It amuses me to imagine someone trying to clean my avatar off their screen..... little things, little minds :wink: .
I've always found it simultaneously irritating and amusing. I imagine that you're quite happy with that response.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:
DrPhill wrote:It amuses me to imagine someone trying to clean my avatar off their screen..... little things, little minds :wink: .
I've always found it simultaneously irritating and amusing. I imagine that you're quite happy with that response.
As long as the amusement outweighs the irritation, then yes. If the pendulum swings too far the other way I will need to get a new avatar.
Phill