You want cats? I'll give you cats...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

You want cats? I'll give you cats...

Post by Nanohedron »

Try a grown mountain lion napping in your living room:

Awww.

Oregon woman finds mountain lion napping in her home: 'This is wild'

All in all a surprisingly mellow affair - it must have recently eaten its fill, otherwise the woman might have been in serious trouble. She obviously understands how cats tick, but I'm not so sure I could have kept my cool like that. I laughed, though, when I read how she finally got her overstaying "guest" to reluctantly leave by banging on a drum. That'd send anybody packing, all right. :lol:

I'll bet she makes sure her doors are shut, now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Re: You want cats? I'll give you cats...

Post by AaronFW »

I’ve wanted to respond with something, but without googling and posting something random this is all I have:

Article from 2011:
“Law enforcement officers Wednesday shot and killed nearly 50 wild animals -- including tigers, lions, bears, and wolves -- released the night before by the owner of a private animal park who then committed suicide. [...] The 48 animals killed included 18 tigers, 17 lions, three mountain lions, six black bears, two grizzlies, a baboon, and a wolf. Six animals -- three leopards, a grizzly bear, and two monkeys -- were captured and taken to the Columbus Zoo. A gray wolf was later found dead.“
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/ ... icide.html

There’s your cats.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ouch. I was hoping for something a tad more upbeat, but I guess it'll have to do.

On the topic of cougars/pumas/mountain lions, one has been spotted (not yet officially confirmed) just yesterday in the Twin Cities suburb of Edina, MN. Apparently it was stalking a woman and her fluffy little dog. Cougar sightings are very, very rare in Minnesota, but Edina? That's some pretty upscale hunting grounds, there...

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/39 ... d-on-edge/
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

More photos and videos on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Oh, upbeat.

How about a podcast episode about tigers at truck-stops and the law: https://thisiscriminal.com/episode-46-tiger-7-1-2016 ? (If you don’t listen to it, at least look at the pictures).

Episode intro:
There are more tigers in captivity in America than wild tigers in the entire world. The exact number of captive tigers in this country isn’t known, because many of them live in people’s backyards or unaccredited zoos, and the legality of their ownership varies widely by state and even by circumstance. We travelled to Louisiana to see a 550-pound Siberian-Bengal tiger who lives at a truck stop, and the man who’s fought very hard to persuade Louisiana lawmakers he’s not a criminal.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:More photos and videos on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Tuning energy field frequencies to induce Theta states optional. Psychic or no, cats - and other animals, mammals in particular - do read emotions. If you're not so in touch with your chakras, being genuinely calm and behaving pleasantly in detached and nonthreatening ways can go a long way to keep the peace and sometimes even encourage trust. Best to trust a cougar only so far, though.

There's no question in my mind that cats (and other animals) are sensitive to unspoken communication, far moreso than your average human. When I'm in the right frame of mind, some of the less skittish local rabbits will sit a reasonable (to them) distance from me - some have even sat as close as maybe 7 feet away, which is very unusual - and they'll stare, as if trying to figure out what's going on with this human, here. I've noticed this is far more likely to happen when I'm running a tune through my head, so I wonder if, with those big ears, they can hear me unconsciously subvocalizing. Who knows; if it's true and I'm a living media player to them, could be they find trad tunes fascinating. In any case, I'll stop and talk to them in a friendly way at such times, but they can hardly be expected to trust implicitly that they're not on the menu; they're genetically imprinted from ancestors who have seen it all. So I move on (and away) to other things. That's the only way they can know for sure that I don't intend to eat them. I don't discount the psychic stuff outright, but I lean toward the behavioral first. Attuned you may be, but not every animal will let you go up and pet them, least of all the wild ones. I may ooze peace and love, but no matter how close it dares to be, a wild rabbit will bolt every time I move toward it, nor to date have any ever accepted my invitations to come closer. This is to be expected from a small prey animal. A cat, on the other hand, has much reason to be far more confident.

I was fascinated to learn that the mountain lion not only responded in a positive way to the renowned Slow Blink, but also reciprocated in kind, as well. Those who know and understand housecats well will be very familiar with this reassuring gesture, and probably have done the slow blink themselves to their cats - I certainly have, many's the time - but up to now I hadn't considered that it could apply to cougars, too. Very interesting indeed.
inadequate

Post by inadequate »

Ashland is overrun with deer. Poor kitty probably just had it's fill of Bambi in someone else's yard and needed to sleep it off.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

inadequate wrote:Ashland is overrun with deer. Poor kitty probably just had it's fill of Bambi in someone else's yard and needed to sleep it off.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:Attuned you may be, but not every animal will let you go up and pet them, least of all the wild ones. I may ooze peace and love, but no matter how close it dares to be, a wild rabbit will bolt every time I move toward it, nor to date have any ever accepted my invitations to come closer. This is to be expected from a small prey animal. A cat, on the other hand, has much reason to be far more confident.
A BIG cat maybe. I deal with a lot of so-called feral cats, and they seem (initially) pretty convinced I only intend to rip out their intestines and eat them. It takes a while for them to realize that I am able to restrain myself from doing so. Consistency, and showing respect, and being a Food God goes a long way toward accomplishing a transition.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Wildcat kittens born at Highlands reserve

The Scottish wildcat's in grave danger from (amongst other things) interbreeding with feral and domestic cats.

http://www.scottishwildcataction.org/

And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Oo. I had read an article a few months ago from BBC about the Highland Tigers being endangered so it is nice to see the kitten news.

They are so cute.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:They are so cute.
Looks can be deceiving. Are you familiar with the old Scottish clan motto, "Touch not the cat bot (without) a glove"? It refers precisely to the Scottish wildcat.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
Looks can be deceiving. Are you familiar with the old Scottish clan motto, "Touch not the cat bot (without) a glove"? It refers precisely to the Scottish wildcat.
How well I know. I once had an unfriendly felis domesticus mom cat bite through these welding gloves. Fortunately, only made a dent in my finger & didn't break the skin.

AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Nanohedron wrote:
If I’ve learned anything from this thread it is that my ability to blink and my chakras should be good enough to protect me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronFW wrote:If I’ve learned anything from this thread it is that my ability to blink and my chakras should be good enough to protect me.
Along with these for a little flair, if not good measure:

I've used welding gloves on occasion to handle a cat, too, and yeah, they're a big help when kitty is out to make you pay. I'll tell you what they're useless against, though: barberry thorns. Those suckers go right through.

Here's another pic of a wee cute Scottish wildcat kitten (attested from X Marks the Scot), just in case anyone has an overly confident opinion of their ability to chum around with any and all members of catkind:

I'll bet its mama didn't have to teach it that attitude. Those dilated pupils mean business.