On the Death of Clocks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

On the Death of Clocks

Post by Nanohedron »

Just had two old battery-powered clocks go belly-up on the same day.

It made me wonder: Was it sheer coincidence, or an omen that I'm out of time? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: On the Death of Clocks

Post by An Draighean »

Is there by any chance an English police box in your back garden or on your street?
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Why, I do believe I did hear a TARDIS whirring, now that you mention it. :boggle:

Oh, wait: that was distant thunder.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
afl2277
Tell us something.: Just starting out on the tin whistle journey and loving learning to play. Now at an advanced age, I still remember my recorder days from school and so, remembering where the notes are has given me a head start.

Post by afl2277 »

Magnetic field. Thats the problem. There'll be an alien pod near your house that has been dormant for centuries, and now it's activating. :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, that must be it, then. The two weren't litter-mates, and one was well older than the other. They were very much just like these:

ImageImage

The unassuming one on the right was gotten new at a department store about 12 or so years ago, and the jazzier, Jetsons-style one on the left at a second-hand shop some years later; but I think the latter actually dated from the 70s, judging by its brown plastic case and rough condition. So doubtless you can understand the marvel their simultaneous demises presented.

RIP, clocks. My debt to your years of rugged service cannot be repaid. Alas, the very flower of horology, too soon struck down in their prime... Farewell! Farewell.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Are you familiar with the folk song 'Grandfather's Clock?" As long as these weren't bought on the morn of the day that you were born, I'm sure you'll be fine.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

You say you'd had it for 12 years - that must be a record - ours usually fail within about 3 years, made in China, possibly to grow their economy. :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

But did I hold a funeral, you ask? In a manner of speaking. Let us say the rites were ... austere. Although I did afford our departed clocks the dignity of their own separate bins.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Was there anything special about the weather that day? Yesterday we lit our stove for the first time since late spring.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

No, nothing out of the ordinary. Considering the times.
john

Post by john »

I once changed my mobile phone time by an hour when the clocks when forward or back. But this was some time ago and I didn't realise then that it updated automatically so I actually ended winding it forward or back, whichever it was, an extra extra hour. That would never have happened with manual clocks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

john wrote:That would never have happened with manual clocks.
They carry their own drawbacks. I've forgotten how to adjust the time on my car's clock (is nothing straightforward any more these days?) and I'm too lazy to get a new manual or even simply look it up online, it being a case of out of sight, out of mind. So of course when a passenger points out that the clock's off an hour, I just say, "Ah. It must be winter, then," as we drive past the snow and bare trees.

I recall a story wherein someone once asked another why none of his several clocks read the same time, and he replied, "Well, if they did, I'd only need one, now, wouldn't I." :)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nanohedron wrote:
john wrote:
I recall a story wherein someone once asked another why none of his several clocks read the same time, and he replied, "Well, if they did, I'd only need one, now, wouldn't I." :)
Keep those stoped clocks. They are correct two times a day.

:sleep:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086