Email scam

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Email scam

Post by benhall.1 »

Tor wrote:What's so strange is that some people actually fall for this. And some even if they've been burned once already. Some otherwise intelligent people insist that it can't possibly be a scam.
I think they often represent genuinely exciting opportunities.

:shock:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I think they often represent genuinely exciting opportunities.
Add "to be duped" at the end, and your sentence makes much more sense to me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
walrii

Post by walrii »

Tor wrote:What's so strange is that some people actually fall for this. And some even if they've been burned once already. Some otherwise intelligent people insist that it can't possibly be a scam.
People who lack certain mental capabilities or bodies of knowledge often lack the ability to realize that they lack those mental capabilities or bodies of knowledge. They aren’t mentally ill, they simply believe they know more than they do. They firmly believe that they know as much as everyone else but they haven’t yet gotten the “big break” that others got. A scam appears to these folks as that big break and they go for it.

There’s a name for this phenomenon but I lack that piece of knowledge just now. But I know that I lack that piece of knowledge!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It is strange that anyone would fall for this given the amount. I did have the "You owe the taxman. Call and arrange payment, before we put out a warrant for your arrest," scam messages on my landline for years. They used to call and leave messages. I'd save them and play them to my then teenagers to educate them on scams.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Sigh. And I was so looking forward to lunching with Mnuchin...
That phrase keeps making me think of this: [image deleted]
What, you couldn't just come up with Munchin' with Mnuchin?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Sigh. And I was so looking forward to lunching with Mnuchin...
What, you couldn't just come up with Munchin' with Mnuchin?
Of course not. I wanted to broaden the whiplash.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

To my shame, I've been scammed a couple of times recently. Both happened when I was ill, and in a hurry. Obviously my brain isn't working well when I'm ill, and being in a hurry may mean you don't pick up on warning bells. I tell myself I'll be more careful in future, but I'm getting on a bit and domestic matters can take on an urgency that's hard to resist. And to think I've been a computer professional for thirty years and more! So, yes, keep your eyes open, and yes, you CAN sucker an honest man.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

walrii wrote:
Tor wrote:There’s a name for this phenomenon but I lack that piece of knowledge just now. But I know that I lack that piece of knowledge!
In case you were serious..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.