Help with being patient

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Help with being patient

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Maybe some of you remember Berti, who had problems with her hearing implant?
She stayed with us a year or so ago, in the UK, and left some books and wool for me to post to her in the Netherlands.
I posted them pretty promptly, and let her know that they had been sent. After a month she asked me was I sure they had been posted. I even got the forms for tracking lost parcels - but I hadn't kept the receipt for the posting, so that was a dead loss.
I tried posting a letter to her - which arrived - in hopes that it might trigger some action in the Post Office, but it didn't.
One of the books was a copy of "His Dark Materials" in Dutch, and I was upset by the thought that this was lost, so I tracked down a bookshop in the Netherlands that accepted international payment (took a few goes) and had them post a new copy to her. That worked. In fact, since it must have gone through the same department, the missing parcels turned up a few days later! But the whole thing had taken more than three months.
It's outrageous. These days I get recorded delivery on anything I'm remotely concerned about. And I make sure to keep the receipt.

We recently posted a parcel to the U.S. (which arrived in good time, I'm happy to say.) But I'm reminded of the time I sent a letter to South Sixth Street, Louisville. It was returned to sender. I had to direct it to "South 6th Street".
The postal services worldwide do some pretty amazing things, and I'm grateful to them. But everything messes up occasionally, and It's best to be prepared. Get recorded delivery and make sure you keep the receipt.

The thought of having to send a musical instrument through the mail gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Maybe some of you remember Berti, who had problems with her hearing implant?
She stayed with us a year or so ago, in the UK, and left some books and wool for me to post to her in the Netherlands.
Glad she eventually got her stuff. I understand from her Facebook postings that she is now (and perhaps permanently) living in York. She seems to be doing very well, and I recall she had much success when she was finally able to get her implant replaced. Those were rough times, then.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Its not the time taken that bugs us, its the dishonesty . If a man says six months, i assume he means 6months. If theres a problem all he has to do is contact us and explain the situation and give a new time, maybe some might cancel, but if its a health matter for example, we all can understand that!
But saying its in the post, when its not, saying 6 months when it takes 2 years etc etc etc......
Small claims court....
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
ChristopherB

Post by ChristopherB »

It's a whistle not a Saturn V rocket! If an artisan, craftsman, whatever, says six months and in six months there is no whistle or a really good reason why there is no whistle then they are incompetent. Money should be refunded.
Maybe instrument makers should be incentive driven by only accepting a part payment for an instrument, with the balance payable on delivery.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits: Albert Einstein