"Despite them"?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

"Despite them"?

Post by Nanohedron »

So I was surfing YouTube for tunes, and in the vids' comments sections I came across this (paraphrased): "A lovely rendition well done, despite them." I encountered this "despite them" thing at least a couple of times in different vids and from different people, so "despite them" strikes me as a stock phrase possible in such contexts. I don't hear it in the States, though.

Now it seems to me that the obvious meaning is that the comment was a jab in the style of a very backhanded compliment. Or is there something else to it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: "Despite them"?

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:So I was surfing YouTube for tunes, and in the vids' comments sections I came across this (paraphrased): "A lovely rendition well done, despite them." I encountered this "despite them" thing at least a couple of times in different vids and from different people, so "despite them" strikes me as a stock phrase in such contexts. I don't hear it in the States, though.

Now it seems to me that the obvious meaning is that the comment was a jab in the style of a very backhanded compliment. Or is there something else to it?
I've no idea what it means. It's not something one would say hereabouts (UK).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I've no idea what it means. It's not something one would say hereabouts (UK).
Well, they were Scottish tunes, FWIW...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, they were Scottish tunes, FWIW...
No, I've never heard it either. Sounds like there's something missing...

'A lovely rendition well done, despite them playing cheap nose flutes' (or whatever)!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

No, it was just "despite them". There could've been an omission such as you suggest, Peter, but lightning striking twice and all that, I thought I might be onto something.

It strikes me as the same thing as saying, "It was good, in spite of the people playing it." It's exactly the sort of thing I would say if I wanted to be mean, go ad hominem for the jugular, and get ouchy noises and style points out of my audience. But it's just a thought experiment, of course.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That's it! One definitely had to be from that; one of the players was a MacGregor, too, but I wasn't 100% sure that clan lore was involved. The problem is I encountered the other one first, and it definitely came off as a "Nice, but...". No MacGregors there, to memory.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:No, I've never heard it either.
Have to retract that now because, while Google was involved, 'MacGregors despite them' is familiar to me and it was your context (or lack of it) that threw me. So clearly confusing as an apparently standalone comment when 'them' isn't who guesswork might have you think!

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I wish I could find those examples again, but that's out of the question without more searching than I'm willing to do at the moment.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

The term 'despite them' usually means 'against the odds' - to put it into a context that you may well relate to - it's like if you have a cheap whistle, but play it well. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fatmac wrote:The term 'despite them' usually means 'against the odds' - to put it into a context that you may well relate to - it's like if you have a cheap whistle, but play it well. :)
Yes, I know that. But thanks all the same.

What I was asking was whether the usage I'd mentioned was a matter of style particular to the UK in some way when it comes to assessing something in a not-so-flattering light. As you might gather from this thread, one of two such examples (of course, all you have is my word for it since I lost track of them) turned out instead to be from Scottish clan lore, but the other's ultimate intent remains less certain.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

fatmac wrote:The term 'despite them' usually means 'against the odds'
But in the context of 'MacGregors despite them' identified here means MacGregors remaining true to their proscribed name (whether used or not) and identity despite those who'd proscribed it and would exterminate them.

Poem by Sir Walter Scott
Sung by Andy M. Stewart

Master of nine?
jeffrey armbruster
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning the alto recorder. I play classical guitar. and here I am filling in a field tprove that I'm not an evil hacker. what a world!

Post by jeffrey armbruster »

Maybe it's a reference to earlier comments that trashed the performance. OR it's a reference to the band Them. Van Morrison and co. didn't like the performances either and the person is responding to, erm, them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That is indeed a problem in the YouTube comments section: context is often woefully lacking. Me, I failed Mindreading 101.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:I wish I could find those examples again, but that's out of the question without more searching than I'm willing to do at the moment.
Scottish fiddler Bruce MacGregor plays his own composition, the air "The Nameless Clan", on Douglas Hadden's channel (isn't that Kenny's?)...

Beautiful... despite them. ;c)

First hit for https://www.google.com/search?q=scottis ... or+youtube, would you believe it!

Master of nine?