Double-headed Quaver(or eighth note)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Double-headed Quaver(or eighth note)

Post by Innocent Bystander »

One of my friends has a question on FB (you've heard of FB, right?) about a double-headed quaver or two (eighth notes, for youse Merkins) that turned up in some Swedish fiddle music. Both the heads are on the same spacing in the save, so they'd be playing the same note. Co-incidentally, there's a sharp symbol above the notes - not in front of them.

My friend guesses that the sharp above is probably a ficta (I had to look it up) and I'm pretty sure she's right.

My thought is that it's an attempt to bend the note(s) sharp-ish. I wouldn't dare say that to her, as she would take issue with my imprecise expression.

I'm not sure if this image will come through, but I'll try it anyway.

Any thoughts? Anyone come across this sort of thing before?

Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Double-headed Quaver(or eighth note)

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have seen it used when the fiddle plays two Es, E string and pinkie on the A string, together. That may or may not be intended here.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Normal usage would be unison pitches as suggested by Mr.Gumby. Editorial musica ficta would be indicated by accidentals above the notes as you said there are. So what you have here (more context required!) seems to suggest both in a most unlikely way...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have seen it used when the fiddle plays two Es, E string and pinkie on the A string, together. That may or may not be intended here.
That seems to be the explanation! Double-stopping on the A and E strings. Thank you!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!