Craic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Craic

Post by AaronFW »

Since not a lot seems to be going on at C&F, I'm curious what other going-ons are going-on for members.

I'm in the middle of buying a house and I have a flute on order... with current estimates, the sale might close and the flute might arrive around the same time (the beginning of May). So that is exciting.

Do you guys have anything exciting or worth talking about?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Craic

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:I'm in the middle of buying a house and I have a flute on order... with current estimates, the sale might close and the flute might arrive around the same time (the beginning of May). So that is exciting.
Best wishes for both the house and the flute.
AaronFW wrote:Do you guys have anything exciting or worth talking about?
Exciting, I don't know, but the Mrs. and I are in the process of building an earth-sheltered house on a piece of land we own. We are living out here now, in a small flat that we built into my workshop building. The process is taking longer than we first envisioned, but we're trying to: a) get as much as possible right the first time, and b) pay cash for everything as we go; don't want a mortgage ever again. But it's been a fun, learning experience for us so far. When we're done, we hope to have a nice efficient house that is tornado proof, fireproof, bombproof, everything-proof, that requires little maintenance. Hope to be carried feet-first out of it (the last house we will ever have).
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote: Exciting, I don't know, but the Mrs. and I are in the process of building an earth-sheltered house on a piece of land we own. We are living out here now, in a small flat that we built into my workshop building. The process is taking longer than we first envisioned, but we're trying to: a) get as much as possible right the first time, and b) pay cash for everything as we go; don't want a mortgage ever again. But it's been a fun, learning experience for us so far. When we're done, we hope to have a nice efficient house that is tornado proof, fireproof, bombproof, everything-proof, that requires little maintenance. Hope to be carried feet-first out of it (the last house we will ever have).
That sounds like a pretty swell plan and project. Best wishes to you too!

I don't want to pry too much, but I am curious; how far are you in the process now? Is the house architecture something of your design, or somebody else's? If you have any drawings/plans or pictures regarding the house, I would love to see them if you would not mind sharing them.
Last edited by AaronFW on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Getting a harp made in exchange for my pipes. Gotta love the barter economy. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:That sounds like a pretty swell plan and project. Best wishes to you too!
Thanks.
AaronFW wrote:I don't want to pry too much, but I am curious; how far are you in the process now? Is the house architecture something of your design, or somebody else's? If you have any drawings/plans or pictures regarding the house, I would love to see them if you would not mind sharing them.
The concrete structure is complete; seven contiguous concrete dome modules plus several other rectangular "punch out" rooms. The interior floors have been poured, and all of the plumbing and most of the electrical has been roughed in. Just finished the third or fourth round of waterproofing the top and backside of the concrete; we hope to begin burying the roof soon. The space between the rear of the house and the excavated hill it sits in has already been mostly back filled, so that you can walk up on the roof from the back.

The plan was made by the builder to this point (who specializes in concrete earth-sheltered construction), with input and specifications from us. The concrete domes are modular, i.e. they can be added together in any configuration. Our design is fairly linear; long and narrow, because we are building it into the side of a hill, and we wanted every main room that we would spend any time in to have big windows to the outside.

I do have a basic floor plan and some photos that I am willing to share, but with sodding photobucket not allowing 3rd party hosting anymore, I quit uploading stuff to them, and don't have another photo hosting site yet. I guess I need to find one.
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote:
I do have a basic floor plan and some photos that I am willing to share, but with sodding photobucket not allowing 3rd party hosting anymore, I quit uploading stuff to them, and don't have another photo hosting site yet. I guess I need to find one.
I’ve been recommending https://cloudinary.com since they have a free tier (up to 10 GB, I think) and they don’t really have ads (unlike a few other options). As others have pointed out, the User Interface isn’t the most intuitive, but it is OK and does the job provided that you can find your way.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Nanohedron wrote:Getting a harp made in exchange for my pipes. Gotta love the barter economy. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a win-win deal.

Who's the harp maker?
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote:I’ve been recommending https://cloudinary.com since they have a free tier (up to 10 GB, I think) and they don’t really have ads (unlike a few other options). As others have pointed out, the User Interface isn’t the most intuitive, but it is OK and does the job provided that you can find your way.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check them out.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

An Draighean wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Getting a harp made in exchange for my pipes. Gotta love the barter economy. :thumbsup:

Who's the harp maker?
The redoubtable Chad McAnally, C&F username ceadach. With him in St. Paul, we're practically neighbors. Chad doesn't post much any more, but he's a busy fellow. This harp will be low-headed evoking the Boru harp silhouette but built larger as a floor harp, with nylon strings (31 of them, IIRC), and a round back. Sharping levers, too. Really looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I'm taking in a lot of YouTube instructionals because I haven't the slightest idea of what I've gotten myself into.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Nanohedron wrote:
An Draighean wrote:

Who's the harp maker?
The redoubtable Chad McAnally, C&F username ceadach. With him in St. Paul, we're practically neighbors. Chad doesn't post much any more, but he's a busy fellow. This harp will be low-headed evoking the Boru harp silhouette but built larger as a floor harp, with nylon strings (31 of them, IIRC), and a round back. Sharping levers, too. Really looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I'm taking in a lot of YouTube instructionals because I haven't the slightest idea of what I've gotten myself into.
Sounds nice!

My wife is a harper, I will sometimes pluck out a tune by ear on one of hers. One good thing about a harp is, they sound good from day one, even beginners can have nice tone.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

OK, for AaronFW, here are some photos of the house we are building.

Here is a floor plan, hope you can read it. The house is 5,000 sq. ft., including the four-car garage.

Here is the house from the front, as it sits now. You can almost see the whole thing; it's 150' long plus the retaining walls, so it's hard to get back far enough to get a photo without trees getting in the way. The dirt on the hill behind it will come down on top of the house.

Here is the top of the house, as seen from up on the hill behind it. You can see four of the seven dome modules in this picture, plus the rectangular punch-out rooms on the hill side of the house. The white things are vent stacks for various things. The gray concrete pillars are to hold racks for solar cell arrays. The height of the columns and stacks gives you an idea of how deep the soil will be on top of the house.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Here is the master bedroom from the inside. The view outside is over a live creek.
You can see part of the inside of a dome module; each dome module is a square 24 feet on a side, with vertical walls going up 8 feet, then the dome arches up to 12' in the center. The domes reflect light all over the room (when they are plastered white), and help air to circulate as well.

Here is a small part of the hill the house is built into, before it was excavated. The two Live Oak trees right in front of my Land Cruiser are still there, in front of the house now. You can see them on the left side of the photo of the whole house I posted in the previous post.

Here is the hill, after being excavated, but before the house was built. You can get an idea of how much dirt and rock was moved:

Here is one of the seven dome modules being poured. There is 3,000 lbs of rebar in each dome module. The walls are 10" thick, and the dome is 12" thick at the base, but thins towards the top. The domes are engineered to hold 70,000 lbs. of weight on top.

Here we are back-filling the space between the back of the house and the hill. There is a french drain all along the back side, to carry water away.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

AaronFW wrote:Since not a lot seems to be going on at C&F, I'm curious what other going-ons are going-on for members.

I'm in the middle of buying a house and I have a flute on order... with current estimates, the sale might close and the flute might arrive around the same time (the beginning of May). So that is exciting.

Do you guys have anything exciting or worth talking about?
Exciting! Congratulations on both investments :) ! I just had two roller coaster weeks as far as performances go. Two weeks ago, I was performing a few times with some friends from Ireland while they were touring. The week after that was St. Patrick's, so I don't even need to explain that :lol: So just a lot of late nights and early mornings, but luckily I don't have to perform until after Easter (except at my church, but that doesn't really count)!
Cheers!
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote:OK, for AaronFW, here are some photos of the house we are building.
Oh, wow. :o
I am glad that you shared pictures because that wasn't what my brain was imaging at all. It looks much better than I was imagining. It also looks like you have access to a nice bit of nature as well. Thanks for sharing. :)
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

AaronFW wrote: Oh, wow. :o
I am glad that you shared pictures because that wasn't what my brain was imaging at all. It looks much better than I was imagining. It also looks like you have access to a nice bit of nature as well. Thanks for sharing. :)
Thanks.

Don't feel bad, State Farm insurance cannot figure it out either. They think I am building some kind of rammed-earth, hay bales, and beer cans hippy shack.

As far as the nature, yes, that was one of our goals - along with not having any neighbors that we could see or they could see us. I'll post a few more photos from our land.