Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

Of Beers
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106186
Page 2 of 6

Author:  Dan A. [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
Dinnae fash yersel.

Google Translate told me that the first word was Scots Gaelic but couldn't translate it, and it was completely clueless about the other two.

Author:  Nanohedron [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Dinnae fash yersel.

Google Translate told me that the first word was Scots Gaelic but couldn't translate it, and it was completely clueless about the other two.

You should have bypassed GT and just entered the phrase whole into the Intertubes. You'd get far better results.

First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself". It's a fairly common phrase in Caledonian contexts; go to any Scottish Fair and count it a rare day if you don't see at least one person wearing it on a T shirt.

Author:  s1m0n [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself". It's a fairly common phrase in Caledonian contexts; go to any Scottish Fair and count it a rare day if you don't see at least one person wearing it on a T shirt.


What he said. "Fuss" works for "fash", too.

Author:  Dan A. [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself".

I found and bookmarked a translator tool that works for both Irish and Scots. No more need for Google Translate!

I guess "dinnae fash yersel" could also be translated more loosely as "don't worry about it."

Edit: returning to the topic of beer, one I really want to try is New Holland Brewing Dragon's Milk Reserve: Triple Mash...a 17% ABV bourbon-barrel stout! I also need to revisit Guinness. 22-year-old Dan A. couldn't stand that stuff, but my tastes have changed quite a lot in almost two decades.

Author:  Nanohedron [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Dan A. wrote:
I guess "dinnae fash yersel" could also be translated more loosely as "don't worry about it."

Pretty much!

After a search, the best I can conclude is that the Gaelic for it would be "Tha a' bàta-falbhain agam loma-làn easgannan." :wink:

Author:  Dan A. [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
After a search, the best I can conclude is that the Gaelic for it would be "Tha a' bàta-falbhain agam loma-làn easgannan." :wink:

My hovercraft is full of eels?

As long as I'm having fun with it, the German translation of that odd statement would be "Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale" or "Mein Hoverkraft ist voller Aale."

Author:  Nanohedron [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

See, now, I would have thought it meant "full of ale".

Aaaand we're back on track again. I'm so skillful. :love:

Author:  Dan A. [ Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Ales...Alaskan Amber is a decent ale that should be widely available. Tioga-Sequoia has two fine ales in California 99 and Firefall Red. And how could I forget Tioga-Sequoia's Midnight Lightning imperial stout, which was my introduction to strong stouts?

Author:  Nanohedron [ Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Dan A. wrote:
...that odd statement...

Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook". Here 'tis for your delectation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

And now, back to beer.

Author:  Tunborough [ Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

With hundreds of brewers in Ontario alone, I can't make general statements, but my current go-to beer is Canuck Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto. Tonight's tipple was Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, from Left Field Brewery, a fine specimen of the style.

Author:  Dan A. [ Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
Dan A. wrote:
...that odd statement...

Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook."

You are correct...I was unaware of the origin of that particular phrase.

Tunborough wrote:
Tonight's tipple was Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, from Left Field Brewery, a fine specimen of the style.

Coffee and beer are two things I wouldn't have imagined going together...until I tried a coffee beer. If I can find Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, I will happily sample it. I am a bit baffled as to why I didn't mention porters before.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Nanohedron wrote:
Dan A. wrote:
...that odd statement...

Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook". Here 'tis for your delectation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Apparently in homage to the nineteenth century Portuguese - English phrase book, and unintentional comic classic, "English as She is Spoke" by Pedro Carolino.

Author:  Nanohedron [ Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

benhall.1 wrote:
"English as She is Spoke" by Pedro Carolino.

Aha! I'd heard of it before, but only in barest passing. Found a PDF of it:

https://www.exclassics.com/espoke/espkpdf.pdf

This will keep me occupied for a while. :twisted:

Author:  oleorezinator [ Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

Again I have to say that booze of all sorts
no longer tastes good to me, however back
when it did with the exception of wheat beers
I never drunk a European, English, Scottish or
Irish beer that I didn't like. This overly hopped
beer flavored alcohol delivery system that's passed
off as beer that's swilled so greedily in America now
is simply awful. What do you beer drinkers from across
the pond think of this stuff?

Author:  Dan A. [ Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Of Beers

oleorezinator wrote:
This overly hopped beer flavored alcohol delivery system that's passed off as beer that's swilled so greedily in America now is simply awful.

I don't hail from across the pond, but I wholeheartedly agree that overly hoppy beers are horrible. The rest of the beer-drinking world can go ga-ga over them...just leaves more malty beers and stouts for me.

Page 2 of 6 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/