Of Beers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: Of Beers

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:Dinnae fash yersel.
Google Translate told me that the first word was Scots Gaelic but couldn't translate it, and it was completely clueless about the other two.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Dinnae fash yersel.
Google Translate told me that the first word was Scots Gaelic but couldn't translate it, and it was completely clueless about the other two.
You should have bypassed GT and just entered the phrase whole into the Intertubes. You'd get far better results.

First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself". It's a fairly common phrase in Caledonian contexts; go to any Scottish Fair and count it a rare day if you don't see at least one person wearing it on a T shirt.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself". It's a fairly common phrase in Caledonian contexts; go to any Scottish Fair and count it a rare day if you don't see at least one person wearing it on a T shirt.
What he said. "Fuss" works for "fash", too.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:First, you should know that GT got it dead wrong. None of it is Gaelic, but it is Scots. "Dinnae" is "do not"; "fash" here is in its verb form, meaning "concern", "trouble" or "annoy"; and "yersel" is "yourself".
I found and bookmarked a translator tool that works for both Irish and Scots. No more need for Google Translate!

I guess "dinnae fash yersel" could also be translated more loosely as "don't worry about it."

Edit: returning to the topic of beer, one I really want to try is New Holland Brewing Dragon's Milk Reserve: Triple Mash...a 17% ABV bourbon-barrel stout! I also need to revisit Guinness. 22-year-old Dan A. couldn't stand that stuff, but my tastes have changed quite a lot in almost two decades.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:I guess "dinnae fash yersel" could also be translated more loosely as "don't worry about it."
Pretty much!

After a search, the best I can conclude is that the Gaelic for it would be "Tha a' bàta-falbhain agam loma-làn easgannan." :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:After a search, the best I can conclude is that the Gaelic for it would be "Tha a' bàta-falbhain agam loma-làn easgannan." :wink:
My hovercraft is full of eels?

As long as I'm having fun with it, the German translation of that odd statement would be "Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale" or "Mein Hoverkraft ist voller Aale."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

See, now, I would have thought it meant "full of ale".

Aaaand we're back on track again. I'm so skillful. :love:
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Ales...Alaskan Amber is a decent ale that should be widely available. Tioga-Sequoia has two fine ales in California 99 and Firefall Red. And how could I forget Tioga-Sequoia's Midnight Lightning imperial stout, which was my introduction to strong stouts?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:...that odd statement...
Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook". Here 'tis for your delectation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

And now, back to beer.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

With hundreds of brewers in Ontario alone, I can't make general statements, but my current go-to beer is Canuck Pale Ale from Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto. Tonight's tipple was Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, from Left Field Brewery, a fine specimen of the style.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:
Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook."
You are correct...I was unaware of the origin of that particular phrase.
Tunborough wrote:Tonight's tipple was Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, from Left Field Brewery, a fine specimen of the style.
Coffee and beer are two things I wouldn't have imagined going together...until I tried a coffee beer. If I can find Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter, I will happily sample it. I am a bit baffled as to why I didn't mention porters before.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Sorry to derail again, but by "odd statement" it occurs to me that you might be unaware of its provenance. It is from a famous (or so I would have thought) Monty Python skit called "The Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook". Here 'tis for your delectation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao
Apparently in homage to the nineteenth century Portuguese - English phrase book, and unintentional comic classic, "English as She is Spoke" by Pedro Carolino.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:"English as She is Spoke" by Pedro Carolino.
Aha! I'd heard of it before, but only in barest passing. Found a PDF of it:

https://www.exclassics.com/espoke/espkpdf.pdf

This will keep me occupied for a while. :twisted:
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Again I have to say that booze of all sorts
no longer tastes good to me, however back
when it did with the exception of wheat beers
I never drunk a European, English, Scottish or
Irish beer that I didn't like. This overly hopped
beer flavored alcohol delivery system that's passed
off as beer that's swilled so greedily in America now
is simply awful. What do you beer drinkers from across
the pond think of this stuff?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

oleorezinator wrote:This overly hopped beer flavored alcohol delivery system that's passed off as beer that's swilled so greedily in America now is simply awful.
I don't hail from across the pond, but I wholeheartedly agree that overly hoppy beers are horrible. The rest of the beer-drinking world can go ga-ga over them...just leaves more malty beers and stouts for me.