Quick, somebody start a fight!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: Quick, somebody start a fight!

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Nonexistent litters are irrelevant when the food you're providing quadruples the size of the colony.
How does a colony quadruple with no, or fewer, litters? Immigration, because they hear tell there's a land of plenty?
Most likely.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No, wait. That just doesn't make sense. Could be they're budding, like yeasts or hydras.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Feral cats clustering around a food source is how colonies get started in the first place. The bigger the food source, the more cats it attracts. When you start supplying extra, you're increasing the size of the food source. Thus, attracting more cats. Simple.

Also with a regular food supply (and often medical care), cats will be a lot less likely to disperse to other areas, and will live longer. So, with longer lives, the attraction of newcomers, and concentration, the population spikes even if fewer of them are having litters. With assured food, the litters that do happen will be larger and more of them reach adulthood.

But mostly it's because spaying and neutering isn't where such programs start. They start with someone noticing a handful of hungry kitties and feeding them. A few months later, it's not two or three cats any longer, it's a dozen or more. This becomes a financial and PR problem. It is around this time that s&n campaigns tend to get set up, but the area is already above its carrying capacity for cat population.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

So, if I understand correctly there are two main methods that cause colonies to grow:

1) Some people attract cats by supplying food which encourages more cats to come

and

2) Some people use violent means but since cats have 9 lives and regenerative properties similar to a hydra, it also results in a larger cat population.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:How does a colony quadruple with no, or fewer, litters? Immigration, because they hear tell there's a land of plenty?
Around here, managed colony numbers are pretty stable (16 years for mine). One dies, and another gets tossed out of a car by some jerk, or wanders in with mange for treatment.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

s1m0n wrote:Feral cats clustering around a food source is how colonies get started in the first place. The bigger the food source, the more cats it attracts. When you start supplying extra, you're increasing the size of the food source. Thus, attracting more cats. Simple.
The cats already existed. If a colony attracts cats, then somewhere else is losing cats - even-steven.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Dan A. wrote:
s1m0n wrote:In any case, you'll never sterilize them all.
Yes, that is a pie-in-the-sky expectation.

I guess you and I will never see eye-to-eye on this matter.
Colony number stabilization can occur supposedly with a high percentage sterilization rate, 100% is not needed. Some of the colony managers use birth control in the food to limit fertility while trapping for spay/neuter.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:The cats already existed. If a colony attracts cats, then somewhere else is losing cats - even-steven.
Thus leaving open territory someplace where the cats aren't spayed. Nature abhors a vacuum, so with an extra niche open, the cat population there will expand to fill it.

Edited: Cats are fungible. The population carrying capacity of any area is governed by the total amount of food available to support that population. Unless you sterilize every cat around, if you increase the food supply, you increase the population.

So everyone who starts feeding a cat colony in your wider area increases the food available to the feral cat population of that wider area. This invariably results in a population increase. More food = more cats.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

kkrell wrote:There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?
It's a stalemate. No one seems to have had any luck getting others to believe as he does.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Dan A. wrote:
kkrell wrote:There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?
It's a stalemate. No one seems to have had any luck getting others to believe as he does.
Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)
chas

Post by chas »

kkrell wrote: Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)
I haven't noticed it posted yet, but this is what I thought when Simon started the thread:

Monty Python argument skit
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

chas wrote:
kkrell wrote: Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)
I haven't noticed it posted yet, but this is what I thought when Simon started the thread:

No it wasn't.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:

No it wasn't.
Oh, come on, how can you say that?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:No it wasn't.
Oh, come on, how can you say that?
I didn't say that.