Quick, somebody start a fight!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Quick, somebody start a fight!

Post by s1m0n »

Dan A. wrote:...and we're also caring for a colony of feral cats!
Bad news for birds and local wildlife. Supporting colonies of a lethal invasive species is pretty irresponsible, ecologically speaking.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Dan A.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

s1m0n wrote:
Bad news for birds and local wildlife. Supporting colonies of a lethal invasive species is pretty irresponsible, ecologically speaking.
Consider the following three points:

1. The neighborhood I live in was developed in the 1920s. Most of the local wildlife seems to be long gone. The feral cats, having a source of food provided to them, don't seem to be terribly inclined to go after any bird or rodent that crosses their path. (Or they're good at getting any remains out of my sight.)
2. Part of the care we provide them includes spay and neuter services. Yes, there are quite a few of them, but every one we can get spayed or neutered helps in the long run.
3. Representatives from animal welfare groups have told us, in person, that what we are doing is appreciated.

Doesn't seem all that irresponsible to me...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

irishmuse wrote:It's not a cat fight you want anyway. it's a dogfight. So I'll start. "Did you touch my pint?"

https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA83U ... ize_mode=3

(Oops, think I've stuffed up the photo element) :oops:
Apparently I have to sign up. Got anything else?
Dan A. wrote:In my opinion, people who aren't fond of cats haven't met enough of them.
But they're authoritative enough. I've had people sagely lecture me on how cats are reliably this or that - as if after a lifetime of it I were still green and in need of guidance - when a few well-placed questions revealed they only knew strictly from dogs, or at the far extreme, they'd never even had a pet - not one - of any kind in all their lives! Where do they get this stuff? Facebook?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Dan A. wrote: 1. The neighborhood I live in was developed in the 1920s. Most of the local wildlife seems to be long gone. The feral cats, having a source of food provided to them, don't seem to be terribly inclined to go after any bird or rodent that crosses their path. (Or they're good at getting any remains out of my sight.)
That's the thing about birds. They're mobile.
Dan A. wrote: 3. Representatives from animal welfare groups have told us, in person, that what we are doing is appreciated.
If their interest is cats, sure, they'll give you a cookie. But you won't get the same validation from biologists. Ornithologist curse efforts like this.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:Just let me say that I'm not the only one to apply it to the pettier of squabbles
What's a "pettier" - a French cat owner?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
Dan A. wrote: 1. The neighborhood I live in was developed in the 1920s. Most of the local wildlife seems to be long gone. The feral cats, having a source of food provided to them, don't seem to be terribly inclined to go after any bird or rodent that crosses their path. (Or they're good at getting any remains out of my sight.)
That's the thing about birds. They're mobile.
Not after they're dead, they're not. Did you even read what Dan wrote? Try again, and see if you can grab an inkling of Dan's irony. Domestic cats are not known for sweeping up the evidence. And that is because frankly, they can't be arsed.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The new term is "community cats"
s1m0n wrote:Bad news for birds and local wildlife. Supporting colonies of a lethal invasive species is pretty irresponsible, ecologically speaking.
Now we're fighting!

Rebuttal:
http://www.saveacat.org/cats-birds-and-predation.html

http://www.saveacat.org/predation.html
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: Domestic cats are not known for sweeping up the evidence. And that is because frankly, they can't be arsed.
They're likely hunting farther afield. A housecat will bring prey home, because while they still have the hunting instinct, they've learned that food comes from a can. To a housecat, prey animals are toys, not food. A cat that grew up feral will eat what they catch, even if they're also getting supplementary food from Dan. Cats might show off their toys, but they eat or cache their food. Dan isn't likely to see much sign either way. Cats kill 1 - 4 billion songbirds in the continental US each year.

You can't keep housecats from killing, even when they're getting all their nutrition at home. There is zero likelihood that Dan has managed to turn his colony of feral cats into buddhists by feeding them kibble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat ... n_wildlife

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The fact that the URL is "save a cat" might show this to be a fairly partisan source, no? In any case, this is pretty much a non-denial denial. In fact, the link doesn't deny that feral cats kill wildlife at all. It's hard to tell what they're trying to claim; the piece just talks in circles and wails "not enough is known!" every paragraph or so. It does concede that all the studies it alludes to conclude that feral cats kill a lot of birds, but claims that all these studies are flawed, without ever saying why, let alone providing evidence of that contention.

If that's what you already want to believe, I suppose that's sufficient permission to go on believing it, but otherwise that link doesn't really say anything.

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Predators are useful. Billions of birds killed? So what? There are still billions of birds. Besides, what Dan is doing is helping to control that colony of feral cats. It's got to be better than doing nothing. We don't have such programmes here in the UK (or if we do, they're not well known about), but my understanding is that control is one of the principal aims.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
irishmuse

Post by irishmuse »

Proper dogfight for a post-structural pub?

So like I said:"Did you touch my pint?"
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

s1m0n wrote: There is zero likelihood that Dan has managed to turn his colony of feral cats into buddhists by feeding them kibble.
Pashaw.

Domestic cats are buddhists.

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yeah, but they're Burmese Buddhists, not Tibetan Buddhists. Ask the Rohingya how pacifistic the Buddhists in Myanmar are. Cats are like that.

C.S. Lewis
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

benhall.1 wrote:Besides, what Dan is doing is helping to control that colony of feral cats. It's got to be better than doing nothing. We don't have such programmes here in the UK (or if we do, they're not well known about), but my understanding is that control is one of the principal aims.
We have TNR (trap, neuter, return) here in the States. As we're able to, we trap the feral cats, take them to be neutered or spayed, and release them. The cats also get other medical care.

Back in October, we trapped four cats we named Henry, Jimmy, Paulie, and Tommy. Paulie had to have some teeth extracted, and Henry (who is now named Henrietta) and Tommy got flea treatment. All of them are doing well.

I still see cardinals in my backyard...usually helping themselves to the cat food! And, though this is not possible with a feral cat, a pet cats will not kill wild birds if they are not allowed to venture outside.
Last edited by Dan A. on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.