It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Bitter-cold Michigan
Nanohedron wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
Nonexistent litters are irrelevant when the food you're providing quadruples the size of the colony.

How does a colony quadruple with no, or fewer, litters? Immigration, because they hear tell there's a land of plenty?

Most likely.

_________________
Whistle No.1: Walton's Irish, soprano D
Whistle No. 2: green Feadóg Original, soprano D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33070
Location: Minneapolis
No, wait. That just doesn't make sense. Could be they're budding, like yeasts or hydras.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 am
Posts: 10069
Location: The Inside Passage
Feral cats clustering around a food source is how colonies get started in the first place. The bigger the food source, the more cats it attracts. When you start supplying extra, you're increasing the size of the food source. Thus, attracting more cats. Simple.

Also with a regular food supply (and often medical care), cats will be a lot less likely to disperse to other areas, and will live longer. So, with longer lives, the attraction of newcomers, and concentration, the population spikes even if fewer of them are having litters. With assured food, the litters that do happen will be larger and more of them reach adulthood.

But mostly it's because spaying and neutering isn't where such programs start. They start with someone noticing a handful of hungry kitties and feeding them. A few months later, it's not two or three cats any longer, it's a dozen or more. This becomes a financial and PR problem. It is around this time that s&n campaigns tend to get set up, but the area is already above its carrying capacity for cat population.

_________________
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm
Posts: 287
Location: Wooster, Ohio
So, if I understand correctly there are two main methods that cause colonies to grow:

1) Some people attract cats by supplying food which encourages more cats to come

and

2) Some people use violent means but since cats have 9 lives and regenerative properties similar to a hydra, it also results in a larger cat population.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3677
Location: Los Angeles
Nanohedron wrote:
How does a colony quadruple with no, or fewer, litters? Immigration, because they hear tell there's a land of plenty?
Around here, managed colony numbers are pretty stable (16 years for mine). One dies, and another gets tossed out of a car by some jerk, or wanders in with mange for treatment.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3677
Location: Los Angeles
s1m0n wrote:
Feral cats clustering around a food source is how colonies get started in the first place. The bigger the food source, the more cats it attracts. When you start supplying extra, you're increasing the size of the food source. Thus, attracting more cats. Simple.
The cats already existed. If a colony attracts cats, then somewhere else is losing cats - even-steven.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3677
Location: Los Angeles
Dan A. wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
In any case, you'll never sterilize them all.

Yes, that is a pie-in-the-sky expectation.

I guess you and I will never see eye-to-eye on this matter.

Colony number stabilization can occur supposedly with a high percentage sterilization rate, 100% is not needed. Some of the colony managers use birth control in the food to limit fertility while trapping for spay/neuter.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 am
Posts: 10069
Location: The Inside Passage
kkrell wrote:
The cats already existed. If a colony attracts cats, then somewhere else is losing cats - even-steven.


Thus leaving open territory someplace where the cats aren't spayed. Nature abhors a vacuum, so with an extra niche open, the cat population there will expand to fill it.

Edited: Cats are fungible. The population carrying capacity of any area is governed by the total amount of food available to support that population. Unless you sterilize every cat around, if you increase the food supply, you increase the population.

So everyone who starts feeding a cat colony in your wider area increases the food available to the feral cat population of that wider area. This invariably results in a population increase. More food = more cats.

_________________
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 3677
Location: Los Angeles
There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Bitter-cold Michigan
kkrell wrote:
There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?

It's a stalemate. No one seems to have had any luck getting others to believe as he does.

_________________
Whistle No.1: Walton's Irish, soprano D
Whistle No. 2: green Feadóg Original, soprano D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm
Posts: 287
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Dan A. wrote:
kkrell wrote:
There appears to me no knockout punch in this fight. At what point do the judges make a decision?

It's a stalemate. No one seems to have had any luck getting others to believe as he does.


Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 7373
Location: East Coast US
kkrell wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)


I haven't noticed it posted yet, but this is what I thought when Simon started the thread:

Monty Python argument skit

_________________
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Don't blame me, I voted for Cthulhu


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11536
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
chas wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)


I haven't noticed it posted yet, but this is what I thought when Simon started the thread:

Monty Python argument skit

No it wasn't.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:04 am
Posts: 1113
Location: Mercia
benhall.1 wrote:
chas wrote:
kkrell wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, this whole thread was just intended for arguing, it wasn’t intended to come to a conclusion. (See the title and the first post.)


I haven't noticed it posted yet, but this is what I thought when Simon started the thread:

Monty Python argument skit

No it wasn't.
Oh, come on, how can you say that?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11536
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
david_h wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
No it wasn't.
Oh, come on, how can you say that?

I didn't say that.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.090s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)