Quick, somebody start a fight!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Quick, somebody start a fight!

Post by s1m0n »

..Because we've been really boring for days.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Quick, somebody start a fight!

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Aww.

I don't really like cats, but the kitties I dislike least are ginger and white.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

How can you be serious?

Ginger cats are the most obnoxious and unlikable of all cats. Specifically because of their coloration, and nothing to do with their behavior. Maybe if you studied your cat history a little more, you can see how dismissive traditional cat owners have felt about them back when cat ownership was more pure than it is today. Plus, ginger cats are more expensive. Everyone knows you can get along just fine with an old tom from the alley.

:poke:

How am I doing?

(incidentally, I don't like cats either)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

So this is turning into a cat fight!

Cats are amusing little creatures...here's one of mine.

In my opinion, people who aren't fond of cats haven't met enough of them. For example, my Theo, God rest his soul, was the most dog-like cat I've ever known.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:...traditional cat owners have felt about them back when cat ownership was more pure than it is today.
Sure as God made little green apples, isn't there someone to dredge up this "Pure Droppings" folderol. You spout on about "when cats were cats and owners knew their business" as if you had miraculously just popped onto the scene from "back when" and found the catness of our day wanting, when your notions of the past are in fact a personal patchwork cherry-picked to suit your dreams, its authority amounting to zero. The so-called "traditional" animus against ginger cats is poorly attested at best, but the myth persists in popular culture despite this. Beware of buying into this myth, but also beware of leading innocents astray with your fevered imaginings of some misty Golden Age of feline "betterness" so long past that no one knows what it ever really was. If housecats could talk, I can assure you that their opinion of modern times would be more approving. Sure, there's not nearly the mice and rats to delight them, but do we see the cats bemoaning their toys and kibble? These days, most wouldn't even know what to do with a mouse if it waltzed up and said Hi. That's the Living Tradition. Or for authenticity would you rather go back to the charm of those more verminous times, too? I can see it now: You sit at table under an authentic rushlight with your authentic gruel and crust while an authentic mouse or two run over your authentically grimy foot, but your authentic poor scruffy (and ginger, because that's what you have) cat - what's left of him - is too ill with age and affliction to lift a paw, and so full of worms that you take him along fishing. Yep, those were the days, all right. Cat Nazi.

Leave aside ginger, calico, cap-and-saddle, and the like. See before you the Cat that is All Cats, simply pet it, and then scoop the litterbox. That is the essence of the Way.

Dan, that is either one big cat, or that is one small sink.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Is this a catfight? 'Cos I don't feel qualified.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Is this a catfight? 'Cos I don't feel qualified.
You mystify me. We have broached matters feline, you and I, more times than I could count, and I'm not ashamed to say you've taught even me a thing or two. Or has it all been a sham?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Is this a catfight? 'Cos I don't feel qualified.
You mystify me. We have broached matters feline, you and I, more times than I could count, and I'm not ashamed to say you've taught even me a thing or two. Or has it all been a sham?
Catfight used to have a different, and nowadays terribly un-PC, meaning. My equipment would be inappropriate.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Aha. "Catfight" as opposed to "cat fight". Just let me say that I'm not the only one to apply it to the pettier of squabbles between members of the male persuasion too. Its use having been liberated, to call it un-PC might be a bit hasty, I think.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

"I mock your value system."

- Homer Simpson
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Say that to a cat and see where it gets you.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:Dan, that is either one big cat, or that is one small sink.
The sink was a little on the small side, and Sascha is a good-sized cat. We also have a tiny dog and two smaller cats living inside with us...and we're also caring for a colony of feral cats!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ambitious. I'm still contemplating my next move.
irishmuse

Post by irishmuse »

It's not a cat fight you want anyway. it's a dogfight. So I'll start. "Did you touch my pint?"

https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA83U ... ize_mode=3

(Oops, think I've stuffed up the photo element) :oops:
Last edited by irishmuse on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.