Of unknown flute-playing fathers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Of unknown flute-playing fathers

Post by s1m0n »

A few years ago I posted here about finally meeting my birth father, some 50 years after the fact. He's a yachtsman who wrote a book and made a film about his solo round-the-world voyage in 82-3. Both are worth seeking out, but the book has just been translated in english (he's a Quebecois francophone), and can be found here: 'Jean-du-Sud & the Magick Byrd' by Yves Gélinas. If you'd rather hear it as a podcast, narrated by the author, it's available here: https://www.59-north.com/onthewindpodca ... ud-preview. I haven't tried either link, and neither has he, so tell me if they don't work. I'm one of the folks who proofed the manuscript for translation errors, so if I missed any, don't tell me.

When I watched his film for the first* time, some 5 years ago, I was excited to see a scene in which he, alone on his yacht, played a tune on a bamboo simple system flute. This would have been more than a decade before I began fluting, and 30 years before I discovered who he was and got in contact.

*The ironic thing is that I can recall watching the first half of his film in my early teens as a young sea scout, long before I knew I was related. It had been broadcast in Canada on television. My memory says that we watched it on 16mm film, but it's as likely that someone recorded it to VHS.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
an seanduine

Re: Of unknown flute-playing fathers

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you Sim0n. A tale worth hearing. I listened to the first chapter and find the man stands beside Joshua Slocum and Francis Chichester!
Very much his own man, but a brother even so. Jean de Sud seems a worthy kin-ship to Spray and Gypsy Moth IV.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
chas

Post by chas »

Wow, that is so cool, Simon!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Here`s a clip from the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG0elwG3IFo
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Thats a great story Simon!
My dad was quite musical, and that explains my inherent musicality and obsession with instruments (he had loads in his bungalow)
Unfortunately he and my mom were estranged way back when I was little and I grew up not knowing him. When I did try to get to know him it became obvious that he was musicality gifted but also that he was a real mean SOB, who refused to teach me the fundamentals of music and would scold anyone who went near his instruments.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog