Please quote just what's needed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tommy
antispam: No

Re: Please quote just what's needed

Post by Tommy »

Peter Duggan wrote: :)
K
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tsk.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nanohedron wrote:Tsk.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, my goodness.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

fatmac wrote:............
Also wish more people would use the 'smilies', as it makes posts clearer, where there may be misinterpretation owing to global location. :wink:
And there is Poes Law to consider.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:And there is Poes Law to consider.
Talking of which, why is it that every time you post a bleedin' insect lands on my screen and crawls around on it annoyingly??!?!
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

DrPhill wrote:....why is it that every time you post a bleedin' insect lands on my screen and crawls around on it....
Because there is no 'googly eyed frog' to catch it? Dunno. I give up.... tell me? :D
Phill

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

DrPhill wrote:Because there is no 'googly eyed frog' to catch it?
Did you mean: Image ?
He is supposed to be at today's session in Long Beach. No time for his avatar to chase yours.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

kkrell wrote:Did you mean: [img....]?
Yes, well spotted.
kkrell wrote:He is supposed to be at today's session in Long Beach.
Good to know he is still around somewhere - I have not seen a post by him for a long while.
Phill

Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I know, this was posted some time ago, but: I prefer this as well, but can we also then agree that the person being (partially) quoted will not then get het up at the person quoting them for "taking my post out of context!!!111" because only part of it was quoted (even though that's the only part the person is replying to or they used only part of the post to make clear they were replying to that post but didn't want to take up forum space repeating the whole thing)? Because I see that accusation on a regular basis (across the 'net, not necessarily here), especially when discussions become... heated.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

How far do people take that objection? A partial quote can only rightly be said to be out of context if it reads differently away from the rest of the original.

Example: "People have been avoiding me as if I'm a criminal." Now, if someone quoted only the "I'm a criminal" part, I would be justified in saying that it was taken out of context. If they quoted the "People have been avoiding me" part, I would not.

Fortunately, members here tend to be reasonable.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Katharine wrote:I know, this was posted some time ago, but
Has still made little impression on some because we still get needless whole-quote posts all the time even when there's no need to quote at all!

FWIW, I'd like to see something in the C&F Consolidated Concordat on Policy (CCCP), but fear we may just have to keep wading (or perhaps peering?) through a growing morass of 'quote fog' instead...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:FWIW, I'd like to see something in the C&F Consolidated Concordat on Policy (CCCP)...
Of course it would have to be as a courtesy recommendation, not as hard-and-fast policy. We can't beat people up over it, but we could hope that influence might work.

What are you meaning by "quote fog"?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Of course it would have to be as a courtesy recommendation, not as hard-and-fast policy. We can't beat people up over it, but we could hope that influence might work.
A recommendation would be fine when I'm not proposing beating up anyone! :wink:
What are you meaning by "quote fog"?
Pages where you have to look hard to pick out the new content hiding between walls of quote. It's really counterproductive in obscuring it and preventing fluent assimilation.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:What are you meaning by "quote fog"?
Pages where you have to look hard to pick out the new content hiding between walls of quote. It's really counterproductive in obscuring it and preventing fluent assimilation.
Oh, "walls of quote" - what I call the "blackened page". I'm good for those. :wink: You know, I think some people just can't be arsed to pare it down when they're quoting, even less to break up a screed into its component parts so as to tackle them point by point. In all fairness, it can take some drudgework if you intend to cover most or all of it. That never stopped me, though; but then, I'm detail-oriented.