It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Kinlochleven
A wee plea for concision/readability here...

When replying to someone's post, you rarely need to quote the whole thing. Sometimes, if it's short and you're the next poster, you don't need to quote it at all. (Caveats: I might go back to edit in a quote for clarity if someone else gets in while I'm typing* and/or my reply appears at the top of a new page.) If replying to multiple points from the same post, it can still be tidier and clearer to quote them briefly one by one, with the only real downside being the slight extra effort required to separate the quotes while replying.

*Which happens frequently because I sit agonising over words for ages!

Swathes of unnecessary 'quote' are as big an obstacle to fluent reading as oversized images.

That's all. :)

_________________
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11507
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Peter Duggan wrote:
A wee plea for concision/readability here...

When replying to someone's post, you rarely need to quote the whole thing. Sometimes, if it's short and you're the next poster, you don't need to quote it at all. (Caveats: I might go back to edit in a quote for clarity if someone else gets in while I'm typing* and/or my reply appears at the top of a new page.) If replying to multiple points from the same post, it can still be tidier and clearer to quote them briefly one by one, with the only real downside being the slight extra effort required to separate the quotes while replying.

*Which happens frequently because I sit agonising over words for ages!

Swathes of unnecessary 'quote' are as big an obstacle to fluent reading as oversized images.

That's all. :)

Yes. :twisted:

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Bitter-cold Michigan
Peter Duggan wrote:
Swathes of unnecessary 'quote' are as big an obstacle to fluent reading as oversized images.

Agreed wholeheartedly on both points. If quoting a previous post, I endeavor to quote only the portion I wish to highlight or extrapolate on. I alao resized some photos I took with the intent of posting here before actually posting them.

_________________
Whistle No.1: Walton's Irish, soprano D
Whistle No. 2: green Feadóg Original, soprano D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Kinlochleven
benhall.1 wrote:
Yes. :twisted:

Predictable (from someone... not necessarily you)! :P

_________________
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33014
Location: Minneapolis
Peter Duggan wrote:
If replying to multiple points from the same post, it can still be tidier and clearer to quote them briefly one by one, with the only real downside being the slight extra effort required to separate the quotes while replying.

That's my philosophy.

As you say, Peter, some might be put off by the extra work, but if the point I'm making matters that much to me, then when quoting, I think I should show exactly what point I'm replying to. It leaves no doubt that I'm paying attention and not just rambling. I'm not sure I'd wholly agree with the word "tidier" when I find myself having to take apart an entire blackened page, assertion after assertion, and keep it all in one post, but it is clearer, yes, and importantly to me, it's on point.

But if only postcraft were always easy. We know that some have difficulty sorting out the quote process. Especially in paring down multiple quotes, I've found myself tripped up plenty of times. It's always fixable, but it can be frustrating.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: Kinlochleven
Nanohedron wrote:
I'm not sure I'd wholly agree with the word "tidier"

So ignore that bit, which was probably just my way of stressing the 'clearer'! Though perhaps still also 'tidier' in cutting down superfluous word count?

Quote:
We know that some have difficulty sorting out the quote process. Especially in paring down multiple quotes, I've found myself tripped up plenty of times. It's always fixable, but it can be frustrating.

Yes, it can be frustrating. But previewing before submitting helps to catch the gremlins, and I always do* (frequently multiple times).

*Preview, not necessarily catch everything... though you won't spot many unclosed or wrongly-nested quotes escaping me!

_________________
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33014
Location: Minneapolis
Peter Duggan wrote:
Though perhaps still also 'tidier' in cutting down superfluous word count?

Sure, I'd go with that. :)

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.075s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)