Do I need (better) photo editing software?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Do I need (better) photo editing software?

Post by Dan A. »

I am so pleased with my whistle storage/carrying solution that I want to share it. Before I snapped some pictures, I attempted to change their resolution. My phone's camera (which takes much nicer pictures than the old point-and-shoot digital camera I have) was not given that ability. At a resolution of 4160x2340, resizing them before posting them here is good etiquette. However, I've not been able to find a way to resize them in Google Photos.

My question is this: I know I'll need an image hosting service...so is there a good image hosting service that has that function, or should I also find better photo editing software? Keep in mind that I'm forced to browse the Web on a mobile device, and I'm always leery of apps.

Apologies if I got a little long-winded, and thanks for any and all help!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Do I need (better) photo editing software?

Post by s1m0n »

Try one of these:
Resize photo online
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I wish I'd not neglected my old friend Google...found exactly what I needed and bookmarked it for easy retrieval in the future. Thanks, s1m0n! Now the hunt for a good image hosting service is on!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

the google fu is strong.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Dan A. wrote:Now the hunt for a good image hosting service is on!
I just Google 'free imagehost' any time I want one. They're a dime a dozen, and they all follow the same life cycle: free and useful until they've captured a big enough audience of habitual users, and either less free or less useful (you get to choose) thereafter. It pays to not become habituated. There's always another on the horizon willing to give it up for free.

C.S. Lewis
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

https://cloudinary.com is what I use. Free up to 10 GB. I’ve seen some others used on the forum, but most of them have an excessive number of dating ads and other ads I’d rather not have. I haven’t had that problem with cloudinary yet.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

AaronFW wrote:https://cloudinary.com is what I use.
Lack of annoying ads is always a bonus, so I signed up with Cloudinary. It seems a little tricky to navigate through, but I'll get the hang of it.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Dan A. wrote:
AaronFW wrote:https://cloudinary.com is what I use.
Lack of annoying ads is always a bonus, so I signed up with Cloudinary. It seems a little tricky to navigate through, but I'll get the hang of it.
It is a little tricky, but I think it does its job pretty well.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aaron, thanks for the suggestion of cloudinary.com.

Just signed up and tested it out. Not the simplest website for image hosting, but I found it easy enough to upload images from my iPhone, resize, and grab links for posting photos. Lots of additional tools that some may need or like.

The major downside for those of us who will primarily use the service from iPhone is that the cloudinary website doesn’t play well with mobile safari: All the pages appear way oversized in safari and you can’t zoom out to fit the page properly to your screen size, which leaves you stuck having to constant drag the page around to access the part of the page you need. Also, the sliders don’t work properly. So if you are resizing a photo, you have to tap where you want the slider to go, and then the page reloads and moved the slider where you tapped. Mostly impossible to get an exact resize this way, you just have to settle for being in the ballpark of large, medium or small.

I find the lack of proper compatibility with mobile safari rather odd in this day and age, but the service is free so I guess I can’t complain too much.