Saint's Day challenge

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Saint's Day challenge

Post by awildman »

An Draighean wrote:
s1m0n wrote:OTOH St P's day is Mar 16?
Pretty sure (from memory) that Saint Patrick's day is March 17th. It's celebrated then in the U.S. anyway.
Yup. My sister's birthday. Pretty much every family friend thought they were originally clever in telling my parents they should have named her Pat....groan.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

St. Augustine

St. Lawrence of whom Augustine said "The merit of this saint is evident to everyone. For who has prayed to St. Lawrence and not had his prayer answered?"

Any guesses?

St. Augustine has always been my favorite saint. I incorrectly guessed his Feast Day though. Apparently, it is celebrated on August 28th, the day that he died. He is apparently the patron saint of brewers, printers, and theologians. He is also prayed to for the alleviation of sore eyes (as according to his wiki and a Catholic website cited in the wiki).

I also misguessed St. Lawrence of Rome's feast day. :( St. Lawrence is August 10. St. Lawrence apparently got assigned to cooks, the poor, and the alleviation of back pain.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

s1m0n wrote:*E K Johnston's excellent and witty The Story of Owen
This book is set in a slightly reskinned Huron County, Ontario. As this is where Goderich, home of the excellent Celtic College and Celtic Roots Festival, is, I've actually spent something like ten weeks in that area, and it was really fun to try to spot locations I know in the book. I remember the salt mine and the high school both having fairly major roles...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

That's where I'd placed it, too. My parents used to write books about Ontario rural history, so I spent many summers in the 70s getting hauled around the dustier parts of southern Ontario.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

One of the pieces I do is a solo Folk Opera based on (libretto!) a short story by Somerset Maugh called "Winter Cruise".
Part of the story hinges on St Sylvester's Day - December 31st, which was traditionally observed in parts of Germany more than Christmas was. Or so I'm told.

Another song is a paean to Mugwort (wonderful stuff!) which has the chorus:
"Mugwort, Mugwort, tonic herb of the best sort!
Hear me sing its praises in this simple little tune!
Keep the moth and fleas away
with the plant that's harvested on St. John's day;
And I'll have you all remember, that's the 24th of June!"

So there are two more for your collection. Oh, and St. Brigid's day - 1st February. (although I always do Imbolc on the 2nd...)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

Has anyone mentioned St Christopher?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Greg Connor wrote:Has anyone mentioned St Christopher?
I believe he's been evicted from the canon

But I've always been fond of the way the orthodox church depicts him with a dog's head:

Image Image
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis