Self reference

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Self reference

Post by s1m0n »

It's a forced rhyme. I'm sure everyone comes down on one side or another, depending on their accent and your ears, at one time or another. I wouldn't read much into it.

"To you" (what he means) and "to ya" (what he sings) don't rhyme even in Cohen's native dialect, so it's not like anyone's being inauthentic. He's just as phony as anyone else.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I love Buckley for so much else, but in this case I have to agree. :)
As a serious question, can you point me to anything that he's done that's actually any good and that I might appreciate? Or did he just turn soulful, meaningful stuff into mush?
A matter of taste, I suppose. I'm not entirely sure of your question: Do you already dislike most of his stuff, then? Or are you simply unfamiliar?[/url]
I suppose it's more of the latter. However, every now and then, some friend or other has pointed something out to me along the lines of, "No, honestly, you'll really like this. This is why Jeff Buckley was so brilliant." And I find that I have to listen to yet another saccharine, over sentimentalised ... thing.

I'll go listen to your link ... [sigh]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:It's a forced rhyme.
I know what it is. I just think it fails in this song, and should be abandoned on principle so long as the realer rhyme is already to be had. Not to advocate inflexibility about it, necessarily, but in general it really doesn't work for me. Besides, "yuh" drives home an intimate familiarity the other doesn't. So for me, it's canonic to the song. Let others do as they may.
s1m0n wrote:He's just as phony as anyone else.
And he'd probably be the first to say as much. But genuine people actually do walk this Earth, you know. Just because one is flawed, it doesn't mean kindliness or humility makes one a fake.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'm with Ben, I'm afraid. I don't get Buckley, either.

Mind you, Bob Dylan's mother once confessed - at the height of his fame - that she didn't get it, either. She couldn't see what anyone saw in Bob's music.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:... cod phonetics ...
What is this "cod"? Not part of my lexicon, unless fish now speak.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cod
British informal
Not authentic; fake.
'a cod Mittel-European accent'

I nearly said 'phoney phonetics', but cod works this side of the pond!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:I'm with Ben, I'm afraid. I don't get Buckley, either.

Mind you, Bob Dylan's mother once confessed - at the height of his fame - that she didn't get it, either. She couldn't see what anyone saw in Bob's music.
Interesting. I've never particularly thought of Bob Dylan's stuff as "music". Or not just music, at any rate. I've always thought of it as being poetry. Set to music, but still, primarily poetry.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:It's a forced rhyme. I'm sure everyone comes down on one side or another, depending on their accent and your ears, at one time or another. I wouldn't read much into it.

"To you" (what he means) and "to ya" (what he sings) don't rhyme even in Cohen's native dialect, so it's not like anyone's being inauthentic. He's just as phony as anyone else.
Just to be clear, my reference to cod/phoney phonetics was about how I was notating things ('ya', 'yuh', 'yah' etc.), not what Cohen or anyone else sang.

Master of nine?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: I've always thought of it as being poetry. Set to music, but still, primarily poetry.
It's lyrics. They're different genres. With few exceptions, lyrics sound way more impressive sung than said or (especially) read cold off a page. Real poetry doesn't need melody. All the music is in the words. Melody gets in the way.

This is my chief objection to BD's Nobel prize.

~~

There are a few lyrics in the canon of english lit that are fine enough to get taught as poetry - Summer is a-Coming In and Oh Westryn Winde, for example. But those are a tiny fraction of the body of english lyrics. In the long run, Dylan's not going to make the cut. Some of Cohen might.

C.S. Lewis
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

s1m0n wrote:Dylan's not going to make the cut. Some of Cohen might.
I'd say Cohen already has. He started out a poet, who set his poems to music.

There are other songs that followed a similar path. Jerusalem, and In the Bleak Midwinter, come to mind.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:However, every now and then, some friend or other has pointed something out to me along the lines of, "No, honestly, you'll really like this. This is why Jeff Buckley was so brilliant."
Well, that wouldn't be me. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

s1m0n wrote:It's a forced rhyme. I'm sure everyone comes down on one side or another, depending on their accent and your ears, at one time or another. I wouldn't read much into it.
Yes. Except...

... read from the page, so without the constraint of Cohen’s pronunciation of hallelujah, it may not even be forced. 'Hallelu-yuh' - 'to yuh' or, in some places, 'Hallelu-yer' - 'to yer' are unremarkable, especially if the rhyme is anticipated.

If sung then there is so much content between the two that I don’t think I would have paid attention to Cohen’s ‘you’ in the live version that Ben mentioned.

Question - are forced rhymes normally the other way round, with the compromise in the second line?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

david_h wrote: Question - are forced rhymes normally the other way round, with the compromise in the second line?
Poets are advised if a weak rhyme is necessary to disguise the fact by recasting the lines so that the weaker element comes first, if possible.

C.S. Lewis
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

s1m0n wrote:Poets are advised if a weak rhyme is necessary to disguise the fact by recasting the lines so that the weaker element comes first, if possible.
Which may be successful for me as a reader - I normally notice them in doggerel when used for effect.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Master of nine?