Nothing happening round here

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Nothing happening round here

Post by DrPhill »

Top story from West Somerset Free Press. I especially like the picture of the hedge.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Nothing happening round here

Post by kkrell »

It was either go with that, or a picture of the horse.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Knowing WSFP it is a stock photo of 'a hedge', not even one of 'the hedge'. Part of my bemusement is the apparent need for a photo, any photo.

Still, I rather like living where there is no news (we get a lot of 'cat rescued from tree', and 'firemen called to suspected chimney fire').
Phill

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

The use of marginally-relevant stock photos seems to be increasingly common in even supposedly quality publications these days. I've seen just as stupid as this before, but can't remember exactly where.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

DrPhill wrote:Still, I rather like living where there is no news (we get a lot of 'cat rescued from tree', and 'firemen called to suspected chimney fire').
That is the sort of place I'd like to live. The news around here is often negative, sometimes almost to the point that it's depressing.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Dan A. wrote:
DrPhill wrote:Still, I rather like living where there is no news (we get a lot of 'cat rescued from tree', and 'firemen called to suspected chimney fire').
That is the sort of place I'd like to live. The news around here is often negative, sometimes almost to the point that it's depressing.
I imagine the youngsters here find it boring, though, and there is not much in the way of career or opportunity.
Phill

AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

DrPhill wrote:
Dan A. wrote:
I imagine the youngsters here find it boring, though, and there is not much in the way of career or opportunity.
What industries are in West Somerset?
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

AaronFW wrote:What industries are in West Somerset?
Farming, Tourism, Griping. Some small stuff servicing the farmers and locals, but not much of wider importance - though Minehead has a notable maker of bagpipes, iirc.
Phill

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Time was it were apples, like, and cider. :poke:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
walrii

Post by walrii »

DrPhill wrote:Top story from West Somerset Free Press. I especially like the picture of the hedge.
That’s either a very thick hedge or a very small horse.

Big news in my town (pop. 10,000 but that includes the animals) is the 4H livestock show. And that’s as exciting as I hope it ever gets.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Peter Duggan wrote:The use of marginally-relevant stock photos seems to be increasingly common in even supposedly quality publications these days.
It's a function of the content management systems that news sites use to lay out their pages. All the actual content is served up from databases into a static layout template. The template was designed to host a picture, because some stories require them, but stories that don't have to be paired with a stock place-holder image.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

You think its quiet here, you should see the Recorder Forum. Talk about tumbleweed blowing through...
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:You think its quiet here, you should see the Recorder Forum. Talk about tumbleweed blowing through...
What "Recorder Forum"?
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:You think its quiet here, you should see the Recorder Forum. Talk about tumbleweed blowing through...
What "Recorder Forum"?
I think AuLoS303 was referring to the "World/Folk Winds" section of this board.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
What "Recorder Forum"?
This one

http://recorderforum.com
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog