ART Experts - Identify a painting or painter

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

ART Experts - Identify a painting or painter

Post by kkrell »

A family heirloom that I have not been able to identify. Particularly as there must have been 500+ artists in Rotterdam at the time. Guessing late 19th century. Signed R. Van Wense, Rotterdam. Any clues, or suggestion of resources to get some recognition?

Signature line:

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: ART Experts - Identify a painting or painter

Post by s1m0n »

It looks like a ho-hum painting with no ITM content. Why post it here?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Your best chance is looking if the name is included in the 'Lexicon Nederlandse beeldende kunstenaars 1750-1950' by Pieter A. Scheen, which is an exhaustive encyclopedic overview of Dutch artists.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:It looks like a ho-hum painting with no ITM content. Why post it here?
OTOH, why not post it here? It's the pub. Anything goes. (Apart from what doesn't, obvs. :wink: )
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Your best chance is looking if the name is included in the 'Lexicon Nederlandse beeldende kunstenaars 1750-1950' by Pieter A. Scheen, which is an exhaustive encyclopedic overview of Dutch artists.
Thanks, I'll just see if there's one hanging around here in Los Angeles. Good libraries & college libraries here.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

s1m0n wrote:It looks like a ho-hum painting with no ITM content. Why post it here?
So you can object and I can refer you to my 2012 comment about the overbearing 'Irishness' of C&F?

(Sorry for my non-help on the painting, Kevin!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
OTOH, why not post it here? It's the pub. Anything goes. (Apart from what doesn't, obvs. :wink: )
There's no place for structural minds in a Poststructural Pub
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

kkrell wrote:A family heirloom that I have not been able to identify. Particularly as there must have been 500+ artists in Rotterdam at the time. Guessing late 19th century. Signed R. Van Wense, Rotterdam. Any clues, or suggestion of resources to get some recognition?
Assuming that it is safe to do so (without risk of damaging the frame or painting), have you tried taking the frame off? It seems like that is often a rich source of information as people sometimes slip papers in-behind stuff or there is extra information around the border of the painting. (WARNING: I am in no way a professional. My suggestion is based solely on my reading of the following C&F thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67360)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks, I'll just see if there's one hanging around here in Los Angeles. Good libraries & college libraries here.
The library of the Getty Museum has a copy : here
My brain hurts

kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
The library of the Getty Museum has a copy : here
Thanks. Hmmm, Dutch is not one of my languages. Maybe I will instead reach out to an art dept. Unfortunately, my time is very limited at the moment.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If there's an entry in the Scheen lexicon a photocopy of the article would be a good start. A reference librariran may (or may not) do that for you and forward the result. Translating it will be easy enough.

I did a bit of poking around (in a bit of a throwback of a former life) but failed to turn up any reference to R. van Wense, no mention in the deaths, births and marriages at the Rotterdam city archive (Stadsarchief). And nothing from online lists of Dutch artists and places like that.
My brain hurts

kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:If there's an entry in the Scheen lexicon a photocopy of the article would be a good start. A reference librariran may (or may not) do that for you and forward the result. Translating it will be easy enough.

I did a bit of poking around (in a bit of a throwback of a former life) but failed to turn up any reference to R. van Wense, no mention in the deaths, births and marriages at the Rotterdam city archive (Stadsarchief). And nothing from online lists of Dutch artists and places like that.
Thanks. Google searching "Van Wense" or anything like it has too many hits to reach any meaningful clarifications.

Sounds like Scheen is organized like the New Langwill Index. berti66 is Dutch (has now moved to York, England) - wish her well.

Los Angeles Public Library only has a 'Lexicon Nederlandse' for literature. I will see if the Getty or UCLA Art Dept. or research library can be of any help.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

s1m0n wrote:It looks like a ho-hum painting...
I will be the first to admit that I have little to no knowledge of paintings, and art in general. Maybe I'm hoi-polloi, but I fail to see what makes this painting "ho-hum." At least I have a clear idea of its subject, unlike some of that wildly abstract art.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Your best chance is looking if the name is included in the 'Lexicon Nederlandse beeldende kunstenaars 1750-1950' by Pieter A. Scheen, which is an exhaustive encyclopedic overview of Dutch artists.
Nope, not included. They sure are nice people up at the Getty, though. The Lexicon Nederlandse is in the Research Institute building, in the library, reference room (does not have to be called from storage). 2 volumes.

Thanks for the tip, anyway.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're welcome. As I said, I didn't get anything from a number of the obvious sources and Scheen is a supposedly exhaustive listing. You may well have a very obscure or not rated painter on your hands.

I did come across a few Dutch/Rotterdam art dealers who offered a valuation service, not sure you'd want to go that way but it could be an option.
My brain hurts