Bracing for the Tsunami...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Bracing for the Tsunami...

Post by s1m0n »

...here on Vancouver Island. I moved a year ago from the west to the east coast of the island, and while I'm not far from the water, the models don't foresee big waves hitting here. Still, it's creepy. Where I used to live was Tsunami central, although my house was high on a hillside and would have been safe.

I used to covet the "now entering tsunami zone" signs, but stealing one to hang in my bathroom would have been socially irresponsible. But funny.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/alask ... -1.4499558
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Re: Bracing for the Tsunami...

Post by s1m0n »

All clear.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I had no idea that tsunamis were a risk in B.C. (I have always lived a long way from there), but I suppose it makes perfect sense, as the western continental margin of North America is seismically active due to the subduction of the Pacific Plate underneath the North American Plate.

Hopefully, you will not be washed away - but rest assured that in that unfortunate circumstance, we at the C&F would keen with appropriate laments and slow airs.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

An Draighean wrote:
Hopefully, you will not be washed away - but rest assured that in that unfortunate circumstance, we at the C&F would keen with appropriate laments and slow airs.
:lol: Hilarious, but true.

Glad to hear the threat has passed, that’s scary stuff. Do your non-bellows instruments have floaties?
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yes. Port Alberni, the town I just moved from, was hit badly by a 1964 tsunami caused by another Alaskan earthquake. Because it's at the head of a 30 mile long, wide mouthed fjord on the open Pacific coast, as the fjord got narrower and narrower the wave got higher and higher. It pretty much wiped out downtown & the harbour.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/his ... x=00000820

C.S. Lewis
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

During the big tsunami of 2004, I was in San Diego. Ships headed out to provide relief...mine was not among them. Why I don't know, as we had a good-sized medical facility on board.

Glad to hear storm passed with no undesirable effects.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Here's one of the tsunami hazard zone signs I covet for my bathroom door.

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No need to nick one; you can buy them on Amazon (well, imagine that!). If brand-new is too sterile and you want that taste of street cred, here's one that's pre-distressed for that rugged lived-in look, and at a very reasonable price, too:

https://www.amazon.com/12-METAL-SIGN-En ... B06XDGWG5H
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

A repro sign would be naff.

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, your guests don't have to know that. If they ask, just say, "If I told you I'd have to kill you," and let their imaginations run wild.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The expression "If I told you I'd have to kill you" is also naff.

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You're such a snob...
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Comedy is hard.

C.S. Lewis
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

When friends visit and ask to use the bathroom, you could direct them outside to the nearest Tsunami warning sign. I think that would suit a lot of the aspects that you are looking for.

“Can I use your bathroom?”
“Yes. It is at the Tsunami warning sign down the block.”
“Um..Don’t you have a bathroom that is closer?”
“No.”
walrii

Post by walrii »

s1m0n wrote:A repro sign would be naff.
Oh dear. Wants a tsunami sign + refuses to nick a real one + refuses to accept a repro = a forever state of unfulfilled longing. We shall keen appropriate laments and slow aires. Or airs.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.