Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Post by s1m0n »

I find myself mystified by all the adulation. Shurely Refugee must be the whiniest song in the entire rock canon.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
rorybbellows

Re: Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Post by rorybbellows »

I think I can hear what you mean but I quite like that distinctive sound of his voice. I would not have been a big fan of Mr Petty but I liked some of his stuff. I look on him as one of the stalwarts of the rock world, a dying breed I think.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

It's just you.

His voice is kind of different I'll grant, but he was a good writer and a serious musician who didn't take himself too seriously. Unusual in a rock star.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

s1m0n wrote:I find myself mystified by all the adulation. Shurely Refugee must be the whiniest song in the entire rock canon.
Saturday Night Live just had a reply from an early season (5th?) with Tom Petty as the musical guest. He sounded a lot like Bob Dylan.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:I find myself mystified by all the adulation. Shurely Refugee must be the whiniest song in the entire rock canon.
I find myself mystified that you would suggest one song defines Petty's entire body of work.

But in all fairness, you can't hit it out of the ballpark every time. I too never took to "Refugee", but otherwise I do like his music in general.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've never particularly thought of Tom Petty as being whiny. Then again, we are over-supplied with whiny artistes here in the UK. If you think Tom Petty is whiny, you should try Oasis. :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Oasis. :o
Ooh. I'm with you on that one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:
Saturday Night Live just had a reply from an early season (5th?) with Tom Petty as the musical guest. He sounded a lot like Bob Dylan.
I heard Petty & the Heartbreakers supporting Dylan (and the Dead) back in 86. My friends were there for the Dead, but I was there for Bob Dylan. I can deal with a nasal voice. But the Heartbreakers set betwixt the two was agony. It was like the helicopter gunship scene in Apocalypse Now, only instead of choppers, it was a vast squadron of giant mosquitos, and instead of The Ride of the Valkyries, it was Tom Petty whinging out "Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked you around some".
Nanohedron wrote:I find myself mystified that you would suggest one song defines Petty's entire body of work.
Sometimes, a single example is la Crème de la Crap.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

I used the word whiny to describe him the other day. Even the folks at the table who like him agreed.

When I found out he was in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame I just about spit my beer out my nose.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Mind you, Dylan worked with him on the tour I mention above, and again with the Wilburys, so he must have virtues I fail to appreciate.

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Chacun à son goût.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't take to all of his work; "American Girl" is another that I can leave. But for me, "Free Fallin'" has everything in it that I do like about his music.

I've always felt that much of Petty's appeal, at least in the States, lay in his sound being (to my ears) somehow quintessentially American. In that all-too subjective category I would include the likes of Johnette Napolitano and Iggy Pop.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

For whiny, Neil Young does it for me.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yeah, but with Petty, the lyrics whine, too.

C.S. Lewis
awildman

Post by awildman »

I'll see your Tom Petty and raise you a Steve Perry.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Heres a proper whinger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKORcr1jhY

RORY
I'm Spartacus .