Where are the rebels gone ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Where are the rebels gone ?

Post by rorybbellows »

How come there are no rebelious kids around anymore . In the past we had teddy boys,mods ,rockers hippies, skinheads and punks to mention just a few. What have we got now ? Nothing thats what. Do kids not feel the need to rebel anymore?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
s1m0n

Re: Where are the rebels gone ?

Post by s1m0n »

These days they join ISIS or the white supremacists.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kennychaffin »

s1m0n wrote:These days they join ISIS or the white supremacists.
This.....it's all too serious now. We need more MUSIC!
More Tin Whistles!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
chas

Post by chas »

In addition to what Simon said, MS-13 and numerous other gangs.

And, geez, if you're listing mods and rockers, what about emos and goths and punks, or whatever punks have evolved into (body piercings, etc.)?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fatmac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Most are too busy playing computer games to know what's going on in the real world! :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:And, geez, if you're listing mods and rockers, what about emos and goths and punks, or whatever punks have evolved into (body piercings, etc.)?
Ah, the paradox of group nonconformity. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
chas

Post by chas »

fatmac wrote:Most are too busy playing computer games to know what's going on in the real world! :lol:
I was talking to the mother of a few teenagers (I have one) about our kids getting drivers' licenses. My daughter went to take the test for her learners permit the day after her 16th birthday, while this woman's son doesn't show any signs of wanting his. Our next-door neighbor's son didn't get his license till after his 18th birthday. One theory espoused by someone is that kids don't really need to interact face-to-face anymore, they spend all their time interacting via social media, texting, and all that.
Nanohedron wrote:
chas wrote:And, geez, if you're listing mods and rockers, what about emos and goths and punks, or whatever punks have evolved into (body piercings, etc.)?
Ah, the paradox of group nonconformity. :)
Yes, I love how youth, when their parents don't let them do something all their friends are doing, complain about not being able to express their individuality.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:Yes, I love how youth, when their parents don't let them do something all their friends are doing, complain about not being able to express their individuality.
In Western popular culture we continually hear the idea that for our life to have meaning, we should express "ourselves". Fair enough, but what does this mean? I don't see it. I go to a bar and everyone dresses like each other. Then someone calls me a conformist because I wear a sport jacket, but look around: no one else has one on. Go figure. Do I wear the jacket expressly to assert my individuality? No. I like the look because it sits well with my age, but in truth I actually need pockets for all my stuff, and the jacket serves the purpose perfectly. And there you have it. Of course I know it sets me apart, but I live with that because I have my beloved pockets.

Even as conformists we have individuality. Even as individuals we conform to something. Consequently, I have arrived at some difficulty with the overarching assumption of the necessity of individuality. But I think we popularly confuse "individuality" with the expression of alternative lifestyles which, ironically, so often already imply their own sets of conformities. Try as you might, you can't get away from the circularity of it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:someone calls me a conformist because I wear a sport jacket
Nanohedron wrote:I like the look because it sits well with my age
I think this hits the nail on the head: the rebels are still with us; it's just that we've aged. The youth of today? Can't be bothered.
Nanohedron wrote:Try as you might, you can't get away from the circularity of it.
... unless, in fashion terms, you're a square. :)
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote:The youth of today? Can't be bothered.
In the era of Bernie Sanders, Momentum, Anonymous, and Ooh Jeremy Corbyn, that's a bit hard to believe. There are plenty of rebels around. You're just not seeing them. And the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville were largely college-age (OK, frat-age) men in their twenties, too.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
There are plenty of rebels around. You're just not seeing them.
I'm trying to gather how Ben's statement means he's not seeing them. But I read it as HE can't be bothered. Maybe he meant THEY can't be bothered. He'll have to be the one to tell us.
benhall.1 wrote:... unless, in fashion terms, you're a square. :)
Which leads me to ask: From what end do we define these things, and in a world where real stuff is happening, why should my sartorial signals matter? Am I more validated because I abandon the classics for a pink mohawk and a spiked dog collar? Am I merely a cog because I favor the classics? Of course not, and of course not. For that matter, I look at the rare few Punks left and wonder why they haven't tired of it and moved on.
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kennychaffin »

Maybe we need to play Bowie's Rebel Rebel on Uilleann Pipes, fiddle, and tin whistle. :lol: :thumbsup:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kennychaffin wrote:Maybe we need to play Bowie's Rebel Rebel on Uilleann Pipes, fiddle, and tin whistle. :lol: :thumbsup:
One of my bands did White Rabbit with Trad instruments (pipes, cittern, fiddle, and if you don't count the snare on the bodhrán). When it came to the "Feed your head!" part, the singer held his beer aloft. It was a lot of fun and a perennial crowd-pleaser. I like to think we kicked Grace Slick's ass. With permission, of course.

If that's not rebellious in almost every direction, please point me to the door.

But Rory's question focused on the present generation, not holdovers like me. I think rebellion and activism are still alive and well, but people have more important things to do than dress the part - whatever that actually means.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
In the era of Bernie Sanders, Momentum, Anonymous, and Ooh Jeremy Corbyn, that's a bit hard to believe. There are plenty of rebels around. You're just not seeing them. And the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville were largely college-age (OK, frat-age) men in their twenties, too.
Although this post of yours is sailing a little close to the wind, I can't resist replying ...

I don't see any of those things as being particularly rebellious. In one way or another, they all relate to a desire to look back, to turn the clock back, to refer to imagined utopias of the past. Oh, and all movements led by old, white men. Not terribly rebellious at all. Reactionary, maybe.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: I don't see any of those things as being particularly rebellious. In one way or another, they all relate to a desire to look back, to turn the clock back, to refer to imagined utopias of the past.
There's golden age thinking in every revolution. "When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?" was the great slogan of the peasants revolt of 1381, for instance. It's hard to get more golden age than the Garden of Eden.

C.S. Lewis