New here

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
petergo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! Trying to master tin whistle and hope to learn more here (after a bit of lurking the forums seem to be just the place for that)

New here

Post by petergo »

Hi, I'm Peter and I'm kind of trying to play the recorder and tin whistle (I can play the guitar though :D) Hope to get more inspired or find some relevant advice here, and just have a whale of a time, because you guys seem to be a merry bunch. Thank you for having me!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: New here

Post by benhall.1 »

Greetings Peter!

Welcome to the forums. There are some truly knowledgeable and helpful people around here. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

:-)
petergo
Tell us something.: Hi! Trying to master tin whistle and hope to learn more here (after a bit of lurking the forums seem to be just the place for that)

Post by petergo »

Benhall.1, thank you for the warm welcome! :)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Welcome aboard. :)

I just joined a couple of weeks ago, I'm trying to learn fluting, (fife, flute, piccolo), but I used to play recorders, used to have sopranino, soprano, alto, & tenor. Always fancied a bass, but never got around to it.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
petergo

Post by petergo »

fatmac wrote:Welcome aboard. :)

I just joined a couple of weeks ago, I'm trying to learn fluting, (fife, flute, piccolo), but I used to play recorders, used to have sopranino, soprano, alto, & tenor. Always fancied a bass, but never got around to it.
Hi fatmac! You do have a quite a range of instruments to choose from :D
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've got harmonicas & ukuleles too. :D

(Ukes I've had since 2015, harmonicas I started getting to grips with about 8 months ago.)

Edit: My flute I had had since about 2002, but I could never get the embouchure right, so I'm having another go at it, & I always wanted to try a piccolo, & one came up at a sensible price, both are pre used. The fife I bought to practice my embouchure.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Welcome- with either whistle or recorder you're in for a lot of fun and personal satisfaction.

Back in the day there used to be quite a bit of (mostly)good natured animosity against recorders, but that has largely disappeared.
I think a lot of us came to whistle via the recorder. This can be a blessing or a curse. I was a pretty decent recorder player before I started the whistle, playing in a semi-pro Baroque consort. I had a heck of a time breaking my old recorder habits in adapting to the whistle.The fingering of a Soprano is similar but different to that of a D whistle. The so called C Soprano is really a D scale instrument with some extra length added on to give the player a low Eb and D. Breathing and tongueing are different on the two also.
Some ornaments on the two instruments are written the same way but played quite differently.
You might do well to decide on either whistle or recorder and get pretty solid on that instrument before you add the other instrument.
One other word of advice-- don't show up at a serious Irish session with a recorder. Most will not be happy with you.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!