Consulting the Electric Hair Clipper Oracle

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Consulting the Electric Hair Clipper Oracle

Post by Nanohedron »

I'd been using one for years and it was great, dependable, all that. Then it gave up the ghost and I had to buy another, but a different brand. This new one doesn't cut well at all; in fact, it seems to be getting worse over time. I was talking with a barber who said that all clippers are basically the same and should cut alike - I've run on that assumption, myself - but obviously my present experience contradicts this.

Anyone have the lowdown on these things? I'll get a professional-grade unit if that's what it takes, but I'm hoping to spend less if possible.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Consulting the Electric Hair Clipper Oracle

Post by Peter Duggan »

I'm no expert, but after (as usual) far too much tedious and conflicting research, I got Wahl clippers and they work.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I've cut my own hair for probably 25 years. Around 15 years ago I bought a Wahl Designer model and it cuts as well now as it always has. The oil they provide is pretty thick, and a good cleaning with WD40 works wonders now and again.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have a Norelco (Philips) with exchangeable heads, so it does hair, beard, and nose. I have very fine hair, which can be problematic, but I've been happy with it. It's my second one; the battery of the first died after several years.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

For facial hair I find any clipper works pretty much identically, so I'd have to side with your barber... Though I imagine the design might affect how closely it cuts. I'm not sure how one can't cut well- hair goes in, bzzzt, hair gone. I've not had my head hair cut for over 10 years though, so maybe that cuts a bit differently than thicker face hairs.
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

I would agree that any clipper should work to your satisfaction, regardless of brand.
Perhaps you got a bad apple.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sirchronique wrote:For facial hair I find any clipper works pretty much identically, so I'd have to side with your barber...
He's not my barber. I cut my own hair, what's left of it. As for the face, I shave. Old-school, with a safety razor in case you wonder.
Sirchronique wrote:... Though I imagine the design might affect how closely it cuts.
I wasn't talking about closeness, but about how well it cuts - when it cuts at all. The length you want is a moot point if the head's not even cutting, or if it leaves uncut hairs in its wake so you have to keep going back over and over where you'd already gone. That's an issue.

Closeness is determined by guides, not the cutting teeth.
Sirchronique wrote:I'm not sure how one can't cut well- hair goes in, bzzzt, hair gone.
Yes, that would be the theory. Yet here we are.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

+1 for a Whal clipper. I use a plug in Whal "peanut" model. Cheap and seem bulletproof. Had too many cordless clippers die on me (Norelco, Phillips...)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That's 3 votes for Wahl so far. I noticed that some of theirs go for around $40, so that's tempting.

And it will definitely not be cordless, whatever the brand. I am done with cordless tools of any kind.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have an Oster, fast feed adj. Keep it clean and oiled, works just fine.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

There's alway the tried and true.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

In my misspent youth Ripley's Believe It or Not
paperbacks were a source of endless fascination.
One entry was about a king in antiquity who wouldn't
allow his barber to shave him. Instead as illustrated
a glowing coal held in tongs was used for a trim.
And now the real thing from Turkey. Scroll to 10:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnMJLARzds
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

oleorezinator wrote:Ripley's Believe It or Not
My grade school had that in the library. Several volumes, small, approximately 4X6 books of the strange and P.T.Barnum stuff. I didn't need to look it up in the card catalogue, it was past the librarian's desk, three rows back on the left hand side, on top of the shelves using book ends.

No historically yo-yos were not used as weapons.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, I ordered a Wahl Home Pro from their online store. Set me back only around $24, which is awesome, and the lady said she's been using that very same model on hubby and the kids for over six years, and she's been very happy with its performance. Sounds like good bang for your buck.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That is one nice clipper. Got the job done, and cleanly, in no time at all. "Like a boss", as is said these days. The Wahl's performance exposed the one it's replacing for the craven weenie it is, and if memory serves, it outperforms the one I had before that, and that one was pretty good. So yeah, I'd recommend the brand. :thumbsup: