Salt on Watermelon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you do it?

Yes. It makes the watermelon taste sweeter.
25%
No. It is an abomination.
30%
I don't eat watermelon.
10%
No opinion.
35%

Total votes: 20

s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Salt on Watermelon

Post by s1m0n »

Nanohedron wrote: Wow. That was from the cookbook's humor section, right?
What a fantastic suggestion. ALL cookbooks should a few - randomly scattered - 'satiric' recipes to keep people on their toes.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Wow. That was from the cookbook's humor section, right?
What a fantastic suggestion. ALL cookbooks should a few - randomly scattered - 'satiric' recipes to keep people on their toes.
kkrell wrote:In California, I sure we just drizzle chocolate syrup on it [watermelon] :P . Oh, and maybe some mint ice cream.
There's a proper farce for you. If I tried that combo, I would deserve every regret it gave me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Most cookbooks have something in them that just seems questionable given time. I am a fan of the Jas. Townsen and son cooking videos and some of the recipes make my Midwestern "marshmallows on sweet potatoes" stomach turn. I got some salt pork (pork preserved in salt and soaked to remove most of the salt) from a local store to make a batch of "Green Death" (split pea soup). Never in my life have I had such a concentrated flavor of pork in a single bite. Same with the beef flavor in steak pudding with a dash of mushroom ketchup, but I liked that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_v_g0iIXTI

Tried salt on a cantaloupe just now. Not bad but I see no need.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I got some salt pork (pork preserved in salt and soaked to remove most of the salt) from a local store to make a batch of "Green Death" (split pea soup). Never in my life have I had such a concentrated flavor of pork in a single bite.
But was that good or bad? You didn't say.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Salty and overpowering I ended up making it again with plain pork shank which balanced the flavors out. I have found that several recipes are better with fresh rather than preserved ingredients which am sure they would have used when available. If I can get fresh or even frozen cod I'm not going down to Everett's for salted cod.

I was mistaken his recipe used beef
Split pea soup https://youtu.be/fKNGPMefJ_A?t=207
Making Tasty Fish Cakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3I8WzTltAo
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I ended up making it again with plain pork shank which balanced the flavors out.
A perennial Winter tradition in my kitchen is to boil the heck out of what's left of a bone-in ham, and that makes the cooking broth for a big mess of navy bean soup (w/ onions, carrots, yadda yadda). Good eats for days, and because of the ham, no salt is needed. Has to be a big 12 to 14 qt pot of it, though; otherwise, it would be too salty.

I don't even bother to soak the beans beforehand any more, and it turns out just fine. That approach gives the beans a little meatier texture, which I like. They still break up and go creamy, only not as fast. :)